Apparently I completely misunderstood "Bridge Mode" [NEW IDEA, NEED CONFIRMATION]

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brayhite, Jul 14, 2011.

1. brayhite, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

brayhite macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that my AEBS (2nd gen) could simply extend the wireless range of my network if I connected it (wirelessly) to another wireless router. However, that's not how it works, from what I'm reading online. So my question is:

Did I just replace my (at the time) $180 AEBS with an $80 dual-band wireless ?Netgear router (the N600) for nothing? Or is there some way I can make the two work together that would prove fruitful and worth buying the Netgear?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

That should work. I'm using a 1st-gen AEBS "n" to extend my network into the other end of the house, although it's connected to the first base by Ethernet. I believe that it can do it wirelessly too though, so long as "allow network to be extended" is enabled on the first base.

3. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any idea how to enable that on my Netgear?

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, Airports can typically only wirelessly extend networks of other Airports. At one time, you could hack a certain model of Linksys with a firmware that would let it work with an Airport, but I don't know if you can do the same with a Netgear.

5. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I was afraid of. Hmph. Well I suppose I bought an unnecessary new router. Oh well. At least I have dual band now!

6. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this possible:

1. Connect AEBS to modem.
    2. Make AEBS broadcast only N.
    3. Turn Netgear router into Bridge Mode, connect wirelessly.
    4. Netgear router broadcast in dual band mode so b/g/a/n connections are possible?

Ideally this would increase range, AND connectivity. This is what tipped me off into thinking this might work, found on the Netgear utility as a mode:

Wireless Repeater.
    In this mode, the WNDR3400 router will communicate only with another Base Station-mode wireless station. You must enter the MAC address (physical address) of the other Base Station-mode wireless station in the field provided. WEP can (and should) be used to protect this communication.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

Hmm, definitely sounds like it'd be worth giving it a shot!

8. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eh I was hoping for something a little more concrete than that ha. I don't want to go through the trouble of setting everything up again, plus moving the routers around. This Netgear is a pain to connect compared to the AEBS ha.

9. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Before I go through and do this, I would like some confirmation on THIS being able to work:

1. AirPort Express used as main router.
    2. Wirelessly connect to AirPort Express with AirPort Extreme to extend range.
    3. Let AirPort Express broadcast in N speeds only, let AirPort Extreme broadcast b/g speeds only.

Is this possible? I'd ultimately like to have both N signals and b/g signals broadcasted, with an extended range. Is this possible with an AirPort Extreme and Express?