Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
Hi,

I wanted to watch Top Gear The Bolivia Special on my Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM through iTunes. However it came up with the notice saying that this monitor is not HDCP compliant.
I know for a fact that my monitor is HDCP compliant as Dells website specifically states it is via DVI.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Just for reference here is the monitors spec page http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=320-2736

Regards,
Chris

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
I'm guessing you're connecting the monitor via DVI?
What MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter are you using? Might be a problem with it.

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
I'm guessing you're connecting the monitor via DVI?
What MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter are you using? Might be a problem with it.

No mini display port adapter, straight from DVI on my Pro? I suppose I could see if my Air will play the same content over VGA on the monitor? That would show what is at fault here.

It is only for HD TV shows as well, if I try to play an SD version of Top Gear or any other TV show it plays fine?

zepman

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Sweden
No mini display port adapter, straight from DVI on my Pro? I suppose I could see if my Air will play the same content over VGA on the monitor? That would show what is at fault here.

It is only for HD TV shows as well, if I try to play an SD version of Top Gear or any other TV show it plays fine?

Sorry, I thought you used your Air with the monitor. There's no point in trying via VGA since it's analog and do not support HDCP.

skorpien

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
The reason it's working for SD content and not HD content is because HDCP is only a requirement of HD movies and shows played on an external monitor. A better way to find what's at fault would be to purchase a Mini DP to DVI adapter for your MBA and see if it works.

What is the exact model of Mac that you're using? You said Pro, is that MacBook Pro or Mac Pro? Year?

gibbo132

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2010
The reason it's working for SD content and not HD content is because HDCP is only a requirement of HD movies and shows played on an external monitor. A better way to find what's at fault would be to purchase a Mini DP to DVI adapter for your MBA and see if it works.

What is the exact model of Mac that you're using? You said Pro, is that MacBook Pro or Mac Pro? Year?

Well I have pretty much solved it for now, just play it in SD. I forgot I could change what quality I play it in!
Oh media companies why do this to me? At least I can now watch my TV shows thanks for the help!

Last edited:

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
Well I have pretty much solved it for now, just play it in SD. I forgot I could change what quality I play it in!
Oh media companies why do this to me? At least I can now watch my TV shows thanks for the help!

Yeah, it's crazy - it's like they want you to pirate things sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.