Apparently software reason for all secondary Mighty Mouse buttons to stop working?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Makosuke, May 8, 2016.

1. Makosuke, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016

Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm here "refurbishing" a couple of old Mighty Mice (cracking them open to clean out the scroll ball area), and while that's going fine, my computers don't seem to be recognizing any of the secondary click buttons at all.

10.11--on two different Macs--sees the mice and offers to let me configure secondary right click, "squeeze click", and mouse-ball click, but none of them do anything--just the primary click and 4-way scrolling.

I'd say "oh, they're just broken", except one was doing it even before I opened it up (and hadn't been abused previously), there's no apparent internal or external damage, and when I squeeze the side button, the mouse's internal speaker produces a click sound as expected.

...except it works fine on my work computer.

It seems like if the mouse is making a click sound from its speaker, it must be detecting the squeeze click (and that click additionally doesn't rely on the internal ribbon cable, so it shouldn't be affected even if I broke the ribbon cable somehow).

Likewise for the scroll-ball-click--if the little sub-unit can detect scrolling, it seems like the ribbon cable should be fine and the click detect should work, too.

What's going on? Is there something in software that could cause this that I'm missing?

2. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Okay, so this is a software problem. The "broken" mice work fine on my work computer.

So the question is, what software on both of my home computers is causing these Mighty Mice to not recognize anything other than a regular click?

I'd say it was Logitech stuff, except I have LCC installed on my work computer, too, and one of the home systems has the Logitech gaming software, not LCC, so that doesn't make sense. Only difference I can see is 10.11 vs 10.10...