Apparently there's an iPad Mini 4 issue...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kal-037, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    So after I had to take back my iPM4 for cracking noises when picking it up, I received a unit with a faulty and loose home button, so I took that in... Turns out Apple knows about this. I was worried maybe I'm crazy or being too anal, but neither my iPhone, iPod, nor my iPad Air 2 had this issue at all. The employee inspected it and told me "no, you're not crazy," as he could feel and see the problem too. Then when when he was putting in the reason for exchange/return on his little device, it asked if it was hardware, and one of the first reasons it asked was... "faulty home button?" He said Apple told employees to be specific if it was this particular problem. I guess I'm not the only one?
    He offered to exchange it once more, so we opened another mini to check, and it had the same issue, so I did a full return. I was really enjoying the device but I didn't want to play the exchange game 3x, especially if the problem would most likely be the same if I exchanged again. So I'll just get the Pro and maybe wait a few months to see if the mini 4 is ever actually fixed by Apple. It's obviously not a HUGE deal, (and I AM NOT SAYING "run and take back your iPad Mini 4.") I'm only pointing out that there is apparently a QC issue with a few iPad mini 4s. I returned mine because it did hinder some functions (and to be honest it was annoying too.) It's obviously not good paying for faulty hardware.
    I just hate having to return or exchange something to any store.

*le sigh... I really did like the look and design of that guy too. :/

Kal.

2. henhowc macrumors regular

out of curiosity did you try the ones in the store? did they have the issue? planning on picking up a mini 4 soonish.

3. newellj macrumors 601

Weird. I wonder how widespread this is - mine doesn't have either of those issues.

4. Kal-037, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015

Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

The store models seemed fine, I imagine they would have to be, as they are there so help sell the product. I should have mentioned in my first post, that my intention was not to deter anyone from buying this product. I was just sharing my experience and the knowledge that (some) iPad mini 4s have a faulty/loose home button issue. Honestly I think you will be fine, if not, Apple will obviously let you exchange or return it. :)

Kal.

5. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Hmm, first I've seen this as an issue and we usually get early problem alerts here on MR.

Perhaps "faulty home button" is the first option on all devices that have them? I'd think that's a possibility, along with all of the other "moving parts"? Maybe a genius will chime in.

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

7. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

No problems here. Mine is rock solid. No creaking, or loose home button.

9. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Considering the history of people who have had home buttons fail on them, I suppose it's not out of the realm of possibility that devices could have a faulty button out of the box.

I have to say I'm pretty lucky that I haven't had home buttons fail on me on any of my current or previous devices (8 iPhones, 7 iPads, and 1 iPod Touch). I would guess that if there were a list compiled for hardware defects, things like a 'faulty home button' or 'faulty power button' would be on the list as those are possible points of failure that may occur more often due to moving parts. I wouldn't worry too much about it being a serious issue that Apple knows about that they couldn't/didn't fix but decided to sell the Mini anyways. More of a production line issue than anything else I'd venture to guess.

10. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Likewise. My iPad Mini 4 is nearly flawless. Great little tablet - exactly as I hoped/expected it to look and perform.

11. vlinkz macrumors regular

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

13. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Where did you all purchase your iPads? Online? Apple Store?... just curious.

Kal.

14. PBMB macrumors regular

I got mine from an Apple Store. Great little machine (oxymoron?), flawless so far and the best tablet I have used until now.

15. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

We just got twenty two delivered for work last week. They're all just fine.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

O2 via carrier for mini 4

iPad Air 2 from amazon

17. newellj macrumors 601

Best Buy. :eek: :D

18. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Pre-ordered it directly from Apple.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Same here.

20. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Purchased mine in the Apple store. No problems at all. My biggest problem with iPads has been screen issues and this mini has a perfect screen.

21. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

Online from Apple.

22. Kal-037 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

I'm glad all your iPM4s are good, but curses!
    I was hoping most of you would have said you got yours somewhere other than an Apple Store. ;) lol... (Maybe the Apple Store I went to just got a bad shipment.) Perhaps I'll order it online in a few weeks if there are any kind of promotions, and maybe get a gift card or something. Until then my iPod touch 6 is my go-to device. Another strange thing I found though, is that my iPod 6 is faster and had no glitches but the mini 4 was a tad slower and had a few lag and animation glitches. I guess it could have been the screen size.

Kal

23. bensisko macrumors 65816