Apparently with Apple, Timing is EVERYTHING!!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hawkeye411, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

So I bought the Airport Extreme thinking that I would be able to use it to backup my MacBook to a USB drive using Time Machine. It didn't work. I tried the hack but I couldn't get it to wok properly. SO, last week I spent another $300 freekin' dollars on Time Capsule. Then, this week Apple releases a firmware update. If I had waited another week I would have been able to use the original Airport Extreme to do what Apple had told me it was going to be able to do (i.e. backup via Time Machine to a UNB drive):mad::mad::mad:

Anyone else feel like they got ripped off by Apple because of their "unlucky" timing??

2. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

3. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

It happens with all companies... at least it happened with one you actually like ;)

you have 14 days to return it... so if you don't need it ... return it

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, the update to allow that feature _was_ expected - it's not like it arrived out of the blue, the only issue was, as you say, the timing.

In all fairness, you can't really blame Apple for your own lack of patience - personally I was tempted, but decided to wait for the software update. I still may buy a TC at some point, but it's less urgently needed now. :)

At least you can return it if you really don't want it any more.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

I had hoped to be able to use my AEBS for TM and a windows machine for data sharing/iTunes. But since the AEBS couldn't do TM, I bought a Mac mini last month to do it for my laptops. Of course I also decommissioned the PC.

But don't feel taken advantage of. From what I understand, this wasn't an arbitrary release. The ability was probably pulled from 10.5 due to problems with corrupt backups caused by disconnections mid stream. The slower NAS performance on the AEBS probably made this too risky for Apple. The new code likely had to add logic to increase the reliability to the point where it is now a useful solution.

Personally I'm happy they finally made good on this and omission and supported the older product; even though I have already implemented a alternate solution.

6. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Works out similar values - Time Capsule with a hard drive is roughly close to the price of Airport Extreme + USB hard drive.

You weren't ripped off.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, because everyone else understands the meanings of the words "return" and "refund." :rolleyes:

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Very true, but I like the fact that TC only needs the single plug. Makes it much easier to squirrel away somewhere in the house as a break-in resistant data safe.

And, I also agree, the OP wasn't ripped off. Just bad timing.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If you feel ripped off, then you probably never want to buy a computer. Something new is always around the corner. Enjoy what you have now.

I bought an AEBS back in January about a week after the Time Capsule was announced because I didn't want to wait till February.

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I know what I'm getting into when I buy from Apple (or any computer stuff), I know that at any moment something could happen and that would result in me losing an edge. But you know what? It's going to happen sooner or later.
    My iBook at one point was the bees knees, and then it wasn't. Just like my iMac AL, one day it will no longer be as cool, but you know what? That's fine with me because just like death and taxes it happens. And there's no room for stressing over the inevitable.

11. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Like others have said, try returning it. It looks like it hasn't been the full 14 days since you bought it. Although that does stink when you buy something and an update comes out like a week later, but when you buy electronic its bound ot happen.

12. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Apple has not announced that Time machine will work on Airport drives. It is not supported. Until Apple officially supports it I wouldn't assume that it's going to be supported unless you want to continue a string of errors of assumption.

And yes, you made an error of assumption that time machine would work on an Airport drive. I happen to agree with the criticism of Apple on this matter, but I'd rather they didn't provide it than they provide a backup system that isn't reliable.

13. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Was one of the original features of Leopard.

14. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

And got removed. Apple hasn't "re announced" their support for it yet.

15. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I agree. Consolidation is king. Being able to merge 2 external HDs (320GB and 80GB, storage and TM) and an Airport Extreme into one small box is great.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That's true but it was pulled before Leopard was released. Up until then all features were subject to change with no notice. On the day of Leopard's release it was not an official feature. Same thing with Stacks, they went from being a stack of random icons in the dock to just a fancy version of a folder.

Apple put the disclaimer on the Leopard sneak-peak pages stating this.