AppCleaner help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danmc00, Nov 4, 2009.

1. danmc00 macrumors regular

I wanted to get rid of some files that i installed so i did a search and AppCleaner seemed to be one of the apps people were using to delete them. I dropped it in the delete area and it is gone from my applications folder, but now when i try to delete my trash it says that the files are being used. I also try to "eject" AppCleaner to get if off my desktop for now and it says that it is being used. I thought that it might still be working but it has been over an hour since i deleted the app. What is going on?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You shouldn't run apps from the disk image (the .dmg files). You should move them to your Applications folder before running. Try rebooting your machine then deleting your trash.

3. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Also you can check in the Activity Monitor and see if there is any processes from the application still running.

4. danmc00 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks angelwatt. I didn't know that I should put it in the application folder before installing it. I did notice that MacFUSE was doing the same thing. I will move it to the app folder also. Sorry, but I am new to Mac and still learning. I appreciate all the help.

I rebooted the machine and emptied the trash. All is well now.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Placing the .app file in the Applications folder == installing it. In most cases anyways, some apps have a dedicated installer because they have to place files in other areas of your computer.