AppCleaner?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Prohybe, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Prohybe macrumors member

I heard about that app that unninstals other apps, the AppCleaner? Is that good? I have already read the guide about how to unninstal with finder in macrumors guides but it becomes quite complicated, any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In most cases, app removal software such as AppCleaner doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
    For simple deletion, just drag the .app file to the trash. If you want to completely remove all components, use the instructions above.

3. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

Ok i'm doing that i just have a question: how can i do that thing "File Name". I can't see it here.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow the steps in order. It explains exactly how to do it.

5. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

I did but some kind of files, Application type, it says here that can't be deleted.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Such as? What app are you deleting? Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then make sure the app you're trying to delete isn't running. If it is, quit the process in Activity Monitor. Then try to delete.

7. snazzyiphoneguy macrumors member

u mean dragging it in the trash and emptying the trash isnt enough??

8. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

RealPlayer is the thing i'm trying to delete. I went to activity monitor and confirmed that the app was not running. I tried to delete them and couldn't.

9. ShoG macrumors member

You have admin privileges on the user you are signed in under?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What files are you unable to delete?
    You can't drag the app to the trash and delete it if it's still running. If you do delete an app this way, you leave behind files and folders related to the app that are not automatically deleted. While there's usually no harm in leaving them, sometimes they do leave icons on the Menu Bar or error messages at login, etc. They also consume disk space, which may be at a premium for users with small drives.

11. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

RealPlayer.app
    RealPlayer Converter.app

The last opened dates are from March, and i didn't have this Mac back than. Also, when i right click those selected files, i have the following options: Open/Open Enclosing Folder/Get Info/make alias/quick look 2 items/and other useless ones.

i don't think so..

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click "Open Enclosing Folder". Where are those apps located? What is the file path?

13. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

In Applications

But is weird because i can't see those there when i open Applications. I only see one alias file from Realplayer

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then you should be able to drag them to the Trash, if they're not in use and you're the admin user.

15. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

They aren't here in applications. But the files stay on the finder search. I'll try to restart the computer

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you're not looking at another Applications folder.
    When you're in the folder, click the path icon ScreenCap 2.PNG in the toolbar and verify it's directly under Macintosh HD.

17. Prohybe thread starter macrumors member

I finally did it. Well i looked into Mac HD and didn't find them but when i searched they were still there. So i went back as much as i could and found RealPlayer as a disk. I just clicked "Eject RealPlayer". The files are gone

Thank you very much for your help

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Glad you worked it out!