APPEAL: Stop this Non-sense Bend Topic - Mods, please lock all bend threads

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by hbennis, Sep 29, 2014.

1. hbennis macrumors member

hbennis

Hi Mods,

It was suggested that I make a thread of this here instead, so here it is:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19950358

You guys think it's possible to lock (or close down) all bend____ threads and keep 1 master thread for anyone wanting to rant?

This would clean up the mess that this is currently causing.

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

That is just ridiculous. Do you realise that?

3. hbennis thread starter macrumors member

hbennis

Not it's not censorship! People are free to express themselves, just as long as it does not infringe on my freedom of expression. The forum -as of late- has mushroomed into a mess of bend-xyz threads. I am sure you would agree.

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

No one forces you to open, read nor reply to any threads you are not interested in.
    If people are willing to discuss about any xgate topic, why censor them? What's the point?

5. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

This happens every year at iPhone release time. Like a seasonal tsunami.

Wait it out silently and the waters will recede. Trust me. The hordes will shuffle off to the next Twitter sensation and some other forum will take a hammering :)

6. hbennis thread starter macrumors member

hbennis

I feel this is getting out of control. It must be funny for some to watch, but for the rest, we want to engage in genuine other good and bad stuff.

For the greater good of the community, I am suggesting that Mods keep 1 master thread for all Bend related talk.

----------

Yup, I hear you on this one. I know it will settle down, what I wonder is w-h-e-n ? :)

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This occurred during the antenna gate, and the moderation team has been working hard at trying to keep the bending threads to a minimum by closing or merging.

The problem is think their issue/question/point is unique so they start a new thread when there are already several threads in existence.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

But it is censorship. There is no need for it, regardless of whether the iPhone 6 bends easily or not.

And it is hardly in MacRumors interests to close legitimate threads that get people all worked up and debating.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

To debate an issue is one thing. But when members disregard the established, and accepted upon registration, rules of the forum and begin to insult one another and troll, the moderator team must intervene and enforce those rules.

When a conversation digresses to insults and name calling, it's no longer a debate and civility no longer resides.

As long as members are able to express their views and opinions with one another in a civil way, and accept that others' opinions and views may be different than their's, things will run smoothly and the moderators will not have to intervene.

10. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

This is the best option, just keep moving all to a single thread. that way they can rail and gnash about it all they want.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So you don't want to see the threads on bending but you don't give two ***** about the "I returned my iPhone__ because..." threads? This is the moment you stop coming here, exclude the iPhone forums completely from forum spy, or do not open a thread. Also, the guy said "it is getting ridiculous" which does not mean "censorship" in any way.

Just ignore the threads. It happens every year and it does die down. People feel the need to be heard and this is how they achieve it. What I'd love to see is for people to raise the intelligence bar and quit calling everything "___gate". Someone even used "pixel gate" in a thread. They need their internet taken away. ;)

12. Liberty. macrumors 6502

One topic would be enough, don't you agree? I mean its not even a real issue.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

No. In fact he said that they should be limited to one thread - one that would be more easily moderated. Even maflynn comments that the teams try to reduce the clutter since people open up new threads when they should keep it limited to one discussion.

People need to follow the forum rules. Nobody is saying that discussion on topic X shouldn’t exist, the OP in fact says that he just wants the clutter kept to a minimum.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Which rule states you cannot start a thread on a topic that exists?

15. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the mod staff thinks that some house keeping is in order, (re: merging threads) they will take care of business.

If one is tired of seeing the same type posts on the same subject, one can either ignore them (personal choice and responsibility) or pick out the posts in a thread that are worthy of responding to.

While a good moderator staff is important, it is the membership that truly carries the weight and strength of a forum. If members want good discussion and debate, they should look to themselves (re: personal choice and responsibility) instead of calling on the moderator staff to act as an unnecessary weapon of force, because some people lack the ability to ignore needless drama and drivel.

16. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Seriously, there is no effort required in ignoring them.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Agreed, there is no forum rule against it, although the Forum FAQ does state:
    While it would be nicer if people would do that, it's painfully obvious that isn't going to happen, given that so many don't even read the rules or the FAQ.
    If you don't like the redundant threads, you have two options: don't open them in the first place, or report them to the moderators and let them decide if a thread should be closed or merged with an existing thread. Starting yet another thread to complain about all the threads only adds to the "mess" and isn't the most productive or effective method.

18. GoCubsGo, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Right, it's in the FAQ, which I know and I was sure the guy I asked didn't, but also even MR gave up on that when they took away the initial message when opening a new thread that asked if the topic was descriptive and was it already a topic. They know...people will do as they please. I call it human nature in online forums.