Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lhalman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Hi all!

I'm frustrated that despite selecting 'Dark' in the appearance settings, my Mac seems to always reset to 'Light' mode when I'm using it again the following day. Is this a bug? Is there anything I can do to make it stick with 'Dark' mode?

Specs:
Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 11.17.14 AM.png

Last edited:

lhalman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
Sadly, I did as suggested with using NightOwl and it's done nothing different — when I wake up my computer in the morning it's back to light mode :(

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I got the exact opposite--Mine is set to Auto (either manually setting dark or light works fine) and it goes to light just fine during the day. But when it's night, it remains stuck on light. I can toggle manual and back to auto and it then adjusts to dark but it refuses to do it automatically. Sometimes, if I close my laptop's lid and re-open it, it adjusts properly but not while I'm using it (such as watching videos). Night shift seems to work perfectly fine.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
I've just accepted auto mode as broken and since 90% my MBP usage being during evening I just left it manually set to dark.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
Never bothered to create a different user account. This one is tied to my Apple ID and I prefer to keep everything in sync

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
My user account on my Mac is integrated with my Apple ID. even the password is the same and I like Touch ID to unlock it. All my music, photos, etc are there. So are my SMS/iMessages. Creating a new user account to 'fix' it might fix dead auto mode maybe, but without all the integration with my Apple ID it's not worth the cost. fix one problem by breaking a ton of other features.

The time of day/location are supposed to be utilized in the auto mode to determine when to go light or dark and mine always goes light fine, but if you're watching a video when it's supposed to switch to dark, it won't. it just stays light all the time until i toggle manual/auto again. Night shift works fine and everyone says it's part of the Night Shift settings. I still say it's a Catalina bug. The dynamic wallpaper adjusts correctly though.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My user account on my Mac is integrated with my Apple ID. even the password is the same and I like Touch ID to unlock it. All my music, photos, etc are there. So are my SMS/iMessages

The new user account was to just try out the dark mode auto and manual. The issue could be with your user account. Auto dark mode works great for me. I will have to try the manual dark mode and see if I have the issue.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
manual dark mode works fine here. Same with the opposite. My iPhone switches automatically fine as well. Same Apple ID. It's not a probem with my account. My Mac uses the same ID as my phone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV.

As I said I live with the annoyance. It's not a deal breaker. I love my Mac. But the feature that made it auto was my primary reason for updating to Catalina and it works sporadically at best, most of the time never. Also, my Apple Watch no longer unlocks my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.