Appears that 3G plans do get included sms

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Archon, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Archon macrumors member

This story appears to suggest AT&T didn't fully screw us 1st gen want to upgrade to 2nd gen iphone users. Data doesn't include sms but the voice plans do...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1843

Unlimited 3G data costs US$30 per month. All individual rate plans include 200 SMS messages and unlimited night and weekend minutes. You can get unlimited SMS messages for US$20.00 per month.

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

The question remains whether they'll grandfather in my $5 unlimited mobile to mobile messaging plan or not. That may be the kicker.

3. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

I think he's just assuming that the old iPhone plans, which included text messages, will be the model for the new iPhone plans. But there is no such thing as a 3G iPhone plan.

So unless the regular monthly voice plans start including text messages for ALL phones, the new 3G iPhone plans will be 39.99 + 30 + 5 for voice/data/txt messages at a minimum and go up from there.

If you have an old iPhone and you're not choking for 3G, I would keep your current plan for the remainder of the 2 yr contract with your current phone since it seems to be the better deal!

4. Archon thread starter macrumors member

Not to burst your bubble but my old media works plan didn't carry over when i made the jump to iphone....media works = 1500txt 200mms unlimited data for $20 :(

5. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Or do some negotiation kung-fu as gloss is suggesting.

6. Archon thread starter macrumors member

On the surface I would agree with you but there is an update on the bottom that state "rates corrected". Suggests facts were re-checked with....AT&T?

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Hai-ya.

I dunno. I may have to get medieval on a manager. I can't believe they would get rid of such a monumentally useful feature.

8. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

So did they totally get rid of the 1500 SMS for an extra $10 option?

9. iphone529 macrumors regular

i think that they made a mistake. I am a current Att customer and i dont get 200 sms messages with my monthly voice plan!

10. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's $20 now.

I'm sorry, but I refuse to pay $40+$30+$20 for an iPhone that lets me text my girlfriend without worrying about overages.

11. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Maybe. Fingers crossed, anyway.

But I'd be REALLY surprised. ATTWS has the upper hand and unless they felt a wave of gratitude for all their new business via iPhoners, I wouldn't hold my breath about included txt messages.

Especially since that would be a poke in the eye to all their other non-iPhone customers who have the same mins/month at the same price but pay for texting separately.

12. Bad Ash macrumors regular

Bad Ash

unlimited text messaging is $20. Just checked.

13. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

This sounds spot on to what makes sense for the move to 3G... I'm glad the 200 SMS is included...

14. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

I'd like to see an announcement from AT&T that says that 200 SMS messages will now be included with the voice plans (they aren't now). As it stands, the AT&T press release quoted in the article says nothing about SMS messages - and I won't believe it until I see it in print on AT&T's website.

In addition, here's an interesting quote from another ZD Net article: http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=240&tag=btxcsim

Again, this would be a huge surprise, and I'd like to see it on an AT&T website before I believe it.

If it is true, I'm going to switch to AT&T immediately, get a RAZR for the wife (who has no interest in the iPhone - at least not yet :rolleyes: ) and a $0 "backup" for me, which will be replaced by the 3G iPhone in July.

15. meagain macrumors 68030

This is the hard part for me. I don't mind paying the extra $10 a month (well, I do but...)... but the $5 on top of that for SMS REALLY ticks me off.

$30 a month extra for husband and I. If they just would give us the 200 sms - it would be nice.

16. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

17. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Okay here is the low down... NO voice plan from AT&T has any text messaging. You have to add it. On the 2G iPhone the text was included in the data package that was on the phone, not the voice plan or else a family talk plan w/an iPhone and another type of phone could have 200 texts and that would be weird sharing that...
    The iPhone 3G plans are the same as the Blackberry and other PDA plans because of the fact that AT&T IS subsidizing the phone. In order to get the phone down to that price AT&T had to fork over the cash... so to speak. $30 is not just because of the 3G. The revenue sharing went both ways. Apple gave them a percentage of the revenue for the device, AT&T gave Apple a share of the monthly revenue for the plan. So now that AT&T is taking the brunt of the cost for the phone itself they have to recoup it somewhere... by making the data plan the same price for all of their data plans... your getting a way cheaper phone... (only $15 bucks more a month isn't that bad when you see how much faster 3G really is). And yes grandfathered text plans are honored. Point is everything is ala carte now... no special plans for the iPhone 3G. Now remember this is all subject to change.

18. meagain macrumors 68030

Who said grandfathered texts are honored? And what exactly does that encompass? I didn't see any official statement on it anywhere but I've been away a bit today.

What does T-Mobile charge for unlimited data & 200 SMS texts?

19. scotty588 macrumors 6502

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/09/att.iphone.3g.plans/

20. ramblintoad macrumors member

That's odd. The unlimited text message that came with my family plan applied to my 1st gen iPhone...

21. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Pay the Piper

There are soo many b*****s on the Interweb these days.

I know I need 800 minutes 1500 SMS and UNLIMITED 3G data so guess what? I'm gonna pay for it. This media led recession is turning everyone into whining penny-pincher's. The iPhone is an exclusive and to myself, revolutionary, device that anyone may purchase if they can 'pay-to-play'.

22. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

So the ZD Net article is bogus, as I expected. Now how about upgrades? Is ZD Net's claim that *all* AT&T subs (not just 1g iPhone subs) can get the cheap 3G iPhone also bogus?

23. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Sorry, but there's no excuse for charging such inordinate amounts ofmoney for a service as data-minor as texting. We're talking a couple hundred bytes per message, here, and they're gouging it like mad. That miniscule amount of data costs them nothing compared to voice and REAL data, and yet they charge these obscene amounts for it.

24. saDeRmac macrumors regular

Inconclusive. From what the memo says that was dist to retail sales you have to be available for an upgrade if you don't have an 2G iPhone.

So wait you'd rather pay $0.20 per text? even the 200msg/$5 plan gives you more for your money? Every carrier has its data rates and pretty much charges the same amount.

25. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

if they include sms and you can use corporate discount, that would make my bill cheaper than it is witht he current iphone. i'm in if it's true