AppFresh vs MacUpdate

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tecnho, Apr 27, 2015.

1. tecnho macrumors 6502

Kinda new to using app installers/updaters. I wouldn't mind investing a few dollars to get AppFresh if it is worth it but I really don't know how both these apps perform and if MacUpdate should suffice. What do you guys use?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never felt a need for such an utility. Your apps will tell you when there's an update available, why spend money on a product that doesn't really help you?

3. tecnho thread starter macrumors 6502

AppFresh vs MacUpdate

One is free first of all, and they help consolidate updates into one place for convenience not unlike ios. Besides, without these tools, the apps have to be running for them to tell you that they need a refresh; Mac store apps pop up in the native updater and others elsewhere, it is annoying. I agree that it is not a necessity, just a convenience.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

As far as I can tell neither is really free. Appfresh's site says it's $14.99 and hasn't been updated since 2013 (says nothing about Yosemite support on the site) - so to me, that's a non-starter. Although MacUpdate Desktop has a free version, it's very sparse in what it does and hits you with ads and emails. To get any real benefit, it costs $20/yr. The MUD app is updated fairly regularly.

That said, I've purchased and used MUD for the last 3 years. I use it for the reasons you state - convenience. It's easier to fire it up and see everything that needs updating at one time rather than discover apps need updating willy-nilly as you open them. $20/yr is about the max I'm willing to pay for that convenience though - if they raise their price, I'd probably opt for the free version.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its a minor convenience imo, and not worth the price, as stated by the other member neither is free.

6. macspectrum macrumors newbie

macspectrum

exactly what i do
    too bad macupdate desktop isn't very reliable and expensive

7. wts macrumors member

wts