Apple $10 UpToDate program-odd restriction!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by flyfish29, Aug 14, 2009.

1. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

If I am reading it correctly....The Apple $9.95 upgrade program is written with an odd restriction!!!

Apple UpToDate Program details

Here are some details that I see will provide problems for many:

This program ends December 26, 2009. Your completed order form must be postmarked or faxed within 90 days of the date of your purchase of a qualifying computer or Xserve (described in this offer) or by December 26, 2009, whichever is earlier.

What gives- I assume based on this policy if you ordered your computer June 8th you MUST order snow leopard (postmarked or faxed) on Sept. 8th since that is exactly 90 days? If you don't, you don't get the deal according to Apple's web site

It seems like people had better be on the ball and order quickly if you purchased your computer in June or even July.

It seems the release date for Snow leopard must be Sept. 8th- which is a Tues. since that is 90 days past the date (June 29) Apple listed in the uptodate program as the cutoff for upgrades?

2. newcronos macrumors regular

What's odd about it? That is how I always understand it.

You have 90 days after your purchase of a qualified system to get SL for $9.95. That makes perfect sense, and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the date SL is going to be released.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Actually, 90 days from June 8th is September 6th.

But the expiration date for the offer and the release date for Snow Leopard don't necessarily have to correlated. They'll send you Snow Leopard whenever it's released...you just have to have the form in by the 6th if you bought on June 8th.

4. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Woops- you are right on the 90 days...

My mistake I guess- I didn't understand that program was in fact an order form instead of some sort of rebate form- I guess I have rebates on my mind since I am sending in two rebates this week for my iPod Touch and my new printer! :)

Sorry for my confusion.:confused:

5. DaveF macrumors 6502a

We tried to request the SL update for my wife's new iMac and the service told us we had to wait until SL's release to request it. Is this really so? I'm surprised Apple wants every new Mac owner all trying to request a free copy on day of release.

6. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Nope.

7. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

They are not giving it away for free...

has anyone else tried to do it online and not had success? Has anyone had success so far?

I will try mine once it arrives next week and I have a serial number to enter, etc.

8. OrionsTrident macrumors newbie

OrionsTrident

so do you have to purchase it before this date or just qualify it?

9. blumoon macrumors member

I tried online about a week or so ago and it wouldn't go through. I just tried again and had no problem processing it. It came out to $10.55 with tax and I have my order confirmation.

10. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

When you said it wouldn't go through- what did it say when you tried? I just tried on my MacBook Pro and it didn't work yet. (which I have yet to receive the laptop, but it has shipped) The error I got said I had exceeded the uptodate program purchases for any qualified computers- so I assume the right server hasn't gotten word that my computer has shipped or what have you- I will try again next week after I get it and see if it works.

I called Apple by the way and after speaking with two, they didn't know why and could not order it either.

11. blumoon macrumors member

It said something about 'not available' at this time and there was nothing in my shopping cart. Today when I tried there were '2' in my shopping cart. I changed the quantity to 1 and it processed right away.
    Wait until you receive your system and register it to try again. I was surprised that my refurb macbook qualified but I'm not complaining.

12. NeverhadaPC macrumors 6502

NeverhadaPC

I don't understand how we can get SL from the up-to-date program, if we cannot pre-order...

That is, how can I pre-order SL using the up-to-date program (yes, I did purchase a new computer this past June ;)) --- I want to do this all online since I got my comp online ...

13. blumoon macrumors member

You can pre-order. I used the link at the start of this thread and ordered SL this morning. I have an order confirmation and it states it will ship in September. No specific date....just Sept.

14. flyfish29 thread starter macrumors 68020

flyfish29

thanks- I will try again next week!

Yeah, I did read where ANY computer would work- nice they are including refurbs!

The link to do it online is only for apple store or apple.com customers...if you did buy it from them direct, click on the link that says US Customers only (or the ones below if not US) then it takes you straight to a shopping cart with it in it for $9.95 or whatever price you are supposed to pay.

Make sure you do it soon so you don't lose your chance to order it if your computer was bought in June!