Apple 20" Cinema Display (plastic version) for $95?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theNIC, Oct 24, 2009.

1. theNIC macrumors member

I was wondering if I got a good deal today when I bought a Apple 20" Cinema Display (plastic version) for $95 on eBay (nothings wrong with it). I'm not worried about the seller, I'm just wondering if I got a good deal. I think I did.

It did have a slight magenta hue around the border of the screen and with the pictures it wasn't noticeable at all (the pictures were pretty good). I was wondering if that was normal? I did some research before-hand and I read that some people had the same issue.

Overall, do you think it was a good move or a bad move?

Nicolas

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

3. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I believe the plastic displays used the old ADC connectors not VGA or dvi

4. theNIC thread starter macrumors member

I'm connecting it to my MacBook White. I actually found a good deal for the Apple ADC to DVI adapter and DVI to Mini-DVI adapter all for $80, new.

5. tri3limited macrumors 6502

I'm sure you can get a far better non-apple monitor for the same cost... Up to you if you want Apple that much.

I use an Acer x233h 24" DVI-D 1080p screen that cost me £129... Probably similarly priced to the 20" once you through the adaptor in. It's an incredible monitor for the price! Really rich blacks.

6. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

To be honest, given the total cost of $175, you could have gotten a much better display new.

1680x1050 with 350:1 contrast? even the cheapest displays have better dot pitch and color now.

7. alent1234 macrumors 603

They just bought us 22" ace lcd's at work for less than $200 each

8. macintouch macrumors regular

As said, you paid for the Apple name. I'm sure the response time on that thing is not too good. But it's still not THAT much money.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

A monitor that old might not look very good, backlights dim after awhile. Its an alright value at 95 bucks but after buying the adapter I dont think you got a good deal considering the wide selection of new monitors at $200.

10. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

You could of gotten the aluminum version for $200.

11. McDughf macrumors regular

If I'm Gonna Be Honest With You ( And I Usually Am...:rolleyes:) I'd Say You Got A Fantastic Deal There.
    The Old Plastic Flatscreens Of Apple Were Top Of Their Class Back In Their Day, And They Are Still Great Now.
    You've Got To Remember That In Those Days You Had To Be Standing Completely Perpendicular To An LCD Flatscreen To See It Properly, Otherwise The Picture Looked Like A Photographic Negative. The Apple Screens Were The First I Ever Used That Did Not Suffer From This Syndrome.
    I Still Have One Of These Twenty Inch Screens Connected To An Old G4, And I Find Them As Good As The Screens I Use Today ( Apple Cinema HD Displays ).

Don't Forget, An Old Rolls Royce Is Still A Rolls Royce.:)

12. Andy348 macrumors 6502

An old Rolls Royce will go up in value. Something tells me an Apple monitor will not ;)

13. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Wow, does the shift key work on your keyboard okay? ;)

I would not have spent that kind of money on the display but it is a nice pretty looking screen, I think its one of Apples best. If you really like it I would say it does not matter how much you paid for it.

14. theNIC thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys. Well it shipped Friday (the dude took forever to get in contact with me) so hopefully I'll get it by Wednesday if I'm lucky, if not Thursday or Friday. Thanks, again.

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ADC to DVI adapter

is different than

DVI to ADC adapter

but give the price you said for the adapter you might have the right one.