Apple 20" or 23" HD cinema display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yzp, Jun 3, 2007.

1. yzp macrumors regular

yzp

Hi, I wonder about what I should buy...

Does the 300$ is worth or not between 20" and 23" HD?

Cause my parents would igve me that for my b-daY (which is today, 3rd of June). Actually they would gimme 400$ and the difference will be at my charge.

so, 20" or 23 HD?

thx bye!.

p.s. all prices mentionned are canadian$$$

pp.s. I got an iBook G4, which would be updated in about one year...

2. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

For me it wasn't work the extra money so I bought a 20 inch ACD and I'm very happy with it.

If you've got nothing better to do with the $300 then get the 23 inch. You might regret getting a monitor that's a little too small but you'll never regret having one that's a little too big.

3. milky23 macrumors regular

What are you using the ACD for? If its any kind of media-related work (graphic design, photoshop work, whatever) then you'll probably never regret getting a display too big. However, if you're just using safari/iphoto/imovie/etc, then i'd get the 20" and use the rest for some face-melting speakers or something.

4. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

IVe not found anywhere system requirement for iBook....... however, I noticed that MacBook are compatible, when they got mini-dvi to dvi adapter......

so i guess its the same for an iBook G4 1.2?

5. tango554 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that the g4 ibooks could only mirror the desktop. Which means if you try to use a display, the maximum resolution would be 1024x768. In other words, you would not gain any desktop space, everything would just be bigger.

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

$670 for the Dell widescreen at 24" is a great compromise.

Slightly larger than the 23", slightly more money than the 20".

Unless you really like Apple's design, get the Dell.

Or wait until they're refreshed or the price drops again.

Have 30 & 23 Apple & 20 Dell.

Tell you the truth, it doesn't really matter.

I'd go with the larger screen for $70 more personally.

Good luck!

7. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

And look really bad, stretched on such a beautiful screen.

The port on an iBook G4 was a mini-VGA, not a mini-DVI, incase that hasn't been mentioned.

8. volvoben macrumors 6502

If you're not doing anything color sensitive and you're not particularly picky about your panels, I'll second the dell 2407. The S-IPS panel on the acd 23" is nicer for color, has the same resolution as the 24" and of course looks better in apple's aluminum skin. They're in apple's refurb store occasionally as well, but keep in mind that updates couldn't be too far away, meaning the current models will be cheaper and the new models may be better.

edit: if your ibook has vga output, you're limited to non-apple I assume since apple's monitors only have 1 DVI input. You can get around the 'mirrored-only' disadvantage with some firmware hacks I believe, but you can't get around a VGA only output. I'm not sure what the max res. is on the ibook's card, but if it's not up to the 1920x1200 of the 24" dell, the 20" at 1680x1050 is likely to work.

9. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

oh ****........ however, i tought iBook's graphics were better than macbook's one??

why cant I get on the ACD properly??

10. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

This sort of answers your question. You can convert the VGA signal to DVI, and you can use firmware hacks to use all the pixels, however I do think performance will be quite crap...

11. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

its expensive, i think Ill just forget aboout it!

12. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

You mentioned you'd be upgrading in about a year, at that time you'll find that a MacBook will run an external display fine and so will a Mac mini, so then, by all means, you should get a nice big monitor. Right now it doesn't seem worth it.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

save the money and put it towards a new computer. the ibook g4 can only mirror on an external display, and it looks like **** (i have one and i've tried it)

14. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

i wanted a confim...... u just did it!

thx

15. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

non-apple :''(

ok, but will i be able to warp-around my 2 displays w/ 1 window????

16. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

The iBook's card supports a max of 1024x768. I've tried switchresx and all of the other tricks to get it to run higher on an external monitor but it doesn't work.

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Not looking hard enough mate:
    Screenspanning doctor is the way to go.

It will never drive a 1920x1200 display though. It was just bearable on my Dell 20" 1680x1050. But also JUST bearable.

It also resulted in a minor battery bug on my iBook (only happens on some) where it turned off the monitor randomly while running on battery. A force sleep and wakeup fixed it though.

18. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you were to get one, get the 23". You probably aren't now because the iBook (is NOT superior to the MB, the MB just has integrated graphics which doesn't make it less of a Mac, it's just not as good as it could be) will not do well with the current displays; however, you might want to check eBay for an older one that would be compatible with your iBook, I believe that there were older 20"/23"ers.

19. yzp thread starter macrumors regular

yzp

ya! eBay all the way! however, if I got only a mirror of my own laptop display this aint worth it........ If i cant warp-around screens, theres no point!