Apple 2014 expectations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Cyborg21, Apr 4, 2014.

?

Which is more likely to be Apple's best Product this year?

1. iPhone 6

18 vote(s)
    81.8%
  2. New iPads (iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3)

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. iWatch

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. The New Apple TV

5 vote(s)
    22.7%
  5. 12'' MacBook Air (or 12'' iPad)

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. iOS 8

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  7. OS X 10.10

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  1. Cyborg21 macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

It seems it's going to be a important fall this year for Apple. So what are your expectations about iPhone 6, new iPads, MacBook Air, iWatch, OS X 10.10, iOS 8 and The New Apple TV. Also vote which Apple Product is going to be best this year. :apple:

2. Tulani macrumors 6502a

Tulani

3. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

I would like a black MacBook Pro or Air but black aluminum scratches too easily. since iPad Mini (First gen.) and iPhone 5 and it caused a lot of problems, I don't think Apple will make a black aluminum product. Space Gray maybe :apple: :D

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Everything you listed is rather important for them. If I had to say, iOS 8 and the iPhone 6 are the most important because if I don't see a bigge screened iPhone or one that can handle sharing better, I don't see then need to switch from my Nexus 4.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

iOS 8, OSX 10.10 and the iPhone 6 for me and in that order.

I'm curious to know what iOS8 will be, a little less for OSX 10.10 though I'm happy with Mavericks and would rather have them tighten that up then just release a brand new version. As for the iPhone, a larger new iPhone will be a plus

6. Nickwell24 macrumors regular

Nothing mindblowing

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see 2014 being a standout year for Apple. They'll update what they current have but not blow any of us away with the upgrades.

Expected yearly updates:
    Iphone 6 - New Design, better specs
    Mac Line - updated specs, no new designs (although I'd love to see a new Mac Mini design)
    iOS - Air 2/Retina 3 will both see spec bumps but nothing spectacular.

Non-Annual:
    AppleTV 4- OS upgrade to compete with Amazon FireTV (Please bring the App Store)
    Thunderbolt 2.0 - Might introduce 4k Display, usb 3.0, but it won't be "retina" (331 ppi) for a couple of years. Most 4k 27" displays are only hitting 200ish ppi.
    iWatch - read below.

Over the last decade we've all been spoiled by Apple. Apple does a good job at releasing products when the market is ready. In the last decade Apple has revolutionized three major markets - MP3 Players, Cell Phones, and Tablets because they were all ready to see a dramatic change. The iWatch has been rumored for a couple years now, but so far I think all the renders have it wrong. Every rendering looks unfinished, unpolished, or like an ipod Nano watch. Apple designers aren't dumb, if people can't wear the iWatch w/o drawing lots of attention then it won't be a widespread success - at their core watches are supposed to be functional without drawing lots of attention. Expect something similar with the iWatch (at least this is my hope). Ive once said something along the lines of "Apple computers have lost their sex appeal" - expect the iWatch to bring functional sexiness to watches.

7. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Best is rather vague.

I'd say the iPhone will be the best selling, the Apple TV will be the best upgrade, and the MBA will be best for my personal use.:)

8. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

best is a broad term. the best selling product will be the iPhone.

9. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I've been waiting for the 12" retina Macbook Air for the longest time.

10. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

11. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

None of those options fill me with excitement. I want...

a) A beefed-up Mac Mini. With discrete graphics. And a larger form factor allowing lazier cooling. And a PCIe slot.

b) A new 12" MacBook built in new, improved, uncrackable white polycarbonate using bin parts (or indeed the i3: they really can fit inside laptops, Apple) for £500.

12. Cyborg21 thread starter macrumors 6502

Cyborg21

It would be good but I think Apple won't do that.

13. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Not a chance in hell, other than internal incrementals to the Mini.

My perception might be twisted by the fact that I'm getting poorer year on year, but I'm *convinced* that the inflation-adjusted prices of the base iMac and cheapest laptop are higher now than they have been in the past.

14. sixrom macrumors 6502a

It's hard to imagine what the remainder of this year will be like for Apple since they seem a bit disorganized, or uncertain. It seems they are still trying to find themselves after losing Steve.

Logic says the iPhone 6 will follow their normal progression, but other than a slightly larger screen it may not be much of an upgrade. iOS 8 will most likely be a cosmetic update.

I'm hoping that by years end they regain their focus so that 2015 will be an innovative year, they're overdue for one. Apples certainly capable if they decide to get busy.