Apple 23" Cinema Display or Eizo S2411W?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FourCandles, May 11, 2010.

1. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Hi, apologies for the quick post but would appreciate some quick advice between these two secondhand monitors.

Assume they're roughly the same price. Both are roughly 2 years old (so the ACD will be the post-2006 "silent update" with the higher contrast and hopefully no pink cast) and minimal use, excellent condition.

I'll be using this mainly for Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign & Illustrator and some FCE work; I'll be home printing and using lab prints for the photo work and litho and digital printing for the ID & Illustrator work. Plus the usual web & office stuff.

The 23in ACD specs you probably know. I have a strong personal preference for a matte screen, hence I'm not looking at the new ACDs.

The Eizo was from their second-tier "Flexscan" range rather than the top-tier "Colour Edge". It has a 24in 1920x1200 screen, 14 bit internal processing, hardware calibration, 450cd brightness (not that I'll be using it that bright for editing), 1000:1 contrast, using a PVA panel (as do a lot of the mid-range Eizos). Brochure link here.

I've looked at a few new monitors and the Dell u2410 and others from NEC and HP look nice, but I'm wary of the pink/green tint issue on the Dell and I'm not convinced a wide gamut monitor is the right choice just now.

Would really appreciate any first hand views, especially on the Eizo, and all advice welcome. Many thanks.

2. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

The ACD 23" is a great looking monitor. It's what I used prior to my Dell 3008WFP. The Apple has a S-IPS panel, so that should give it an edge over the Eizo's PVA panel.

3. endophilin macrumors newbie

The current Dell U2410 have no problems with the tint (as you had mentioned). They fixed it in the beginning of 2010. I purchased one in March 2010 and it is working well. If you don't prefer the glossy Apple 24 ACD, then this would be perfect since it is a matte display.

4. FourCandles thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought I'd read somewhere that this update/fix was for the dithering issue rather than the pink/green tint, and that Dell were still refusing returns for the tint. Still, the UK distance selling regulations will cover us for such issues anyway. I am tempted by the Dell, especially with the 3 year dead pixel warranty.