Apple 23-inch Cinema HD Display with dead pixel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Walddo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Walddo macrumors newbie

I just received a mac pro 2 x 2.8 Quad-Core Intel Xeon and 23-inch cinema display bought overseas through an Apple official house (though not an Apple Store due to low demand in my country) and I found out that the cinema display has one dead pixel.

Mi question is: should I try for a replacement (given that I should wait for it to be shipped from Apple) or is this among what is expected and reasonable?

I have heard that as the displays are larger, the amount of tolerable dead pixels increases, and for a 23-inch near 15 dead pixels are not a justified cause for a replacement. If this is the case, I should instead be grateful that I do not have 13 dead pixels.

Thanks for your advice.

2. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

Yeah, go for it! Pack the pixel in a matchbox and return it to Apple.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

3. siorai macrumors 6502

Unless the pixel in question is an obnoxious bright color or in a central location, I would personally just live with it. Most every panel out there is going to have at least one problem pixel. If the acceptable number of problem pixels is 15 for the larger display, you do run the risk of getting a replacement panel with even more problems. Although if it is that high, how are you going to get your panel replaced with only one dead pixel anyways?

4. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

The last time I checked, Apple's policy was that you can have up to 10 dead pixels in an LCD and they won't take it back... I don't know if that's changed.... but as for one, I'd have to say forget about it.

You could always get a CRT if you want 2048x1536 and no dead pixels =p

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Sometimes companies due relent on this policy. You could always try but if the next is worse you may not get as lenient an employee.

This is why for anything with an LCD screen I buy from a local retailer with a liberal no questions 14-30 day return policy. It is worth the extra costs to me.

6. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

That's a pretty smart way to do it... I guess another way might be to buy the display monitor in a store, lol...

7. Walddo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your comments. I was just checking what the general idea regarding this kind of issues was. I work with video and graphic intensive applications and when focused on my work I do not get distracted by this little anoyance. I guess I have to live with it and pretend it does not exist :).

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

It's amazing LCD screens are as defect free as they are.

If you consider that 1920x1200*3 (all three colors) = 6,912,000 pixels...getting everyone right every time is enormously difficult.

In manufacturing, many companies strive for (and don't come near) 'Six Sigma' levels of perfection. Six Sigma means that for every million times you do something, you can only have 3.4 defects. For that many pixels, at Six Sigma level, you would have 23 and a half broken pixels.
    Six Sigma is 99.99966% defect free accuracy.

Again, it *amazes* me these panels are able to be as defect free as they are :)

9. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

apple themselves have a 14 day return period (in europe at least), so if you want you could swap it for another without any quibbles. My 23" acd has no dead pixels, neither do any others that i have seen, so i'd try to change it if i could

10. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you could do the pressure technique? i had a dead pixel in my dell monitor, so i took a soft microfiber cloth and gently (but not to gently) put pressure on the dead pixel and it ended up working. maybe someone here can elaborate on this technique but it worked for me.

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

very interesting, thanks for that! :)

what about the backlight gradient? how many backlights are there? theryre not LEDs in the ACD right?

12. Erwin-Br macrumors 6502a

Erwin-Br

For the PC there is actually software that can fix dead pixels. Don't remember the name, but I saw it on the Dell display forums. I understand that it displays some kind of flashing animation at the appointed location of your screen, where the dead pixel is, and you have to let it run for a couple of hours.

--Erwin

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ theres lots of those for the Mac too. there just Java apps or dashboard widgets which flash colours really fast. i tried it with my MBP which had one stuck pixel but it didnt work. the stuck pixels are usually the ones that can be fixed as theyre 'stuck' on one colour. dead pixels (the black ones) cant be fixed.

14. stiles macrumors member

stiles

My 20" came free of any defects. I don't really care why or how, but if i buy a new pricey apple monitor, it better be perfect. That would bug me.

15. D4F Guest

D4F

Return it and get a new one.
    You should not settle for anything less than perfect once you drop $900.

My first 23" ACD had one dead pixel. I took it back to the store and I was told... sorry.
    So I told them sure. Give me my money back and I'll make sure other manufacturer get's my $$... 2 minutes later the manager replaced it without any fee.

Do not tell yourself you can live with it. Well unless you do not value your hard earned money enough to demand 100% quality.