Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
I'm looking at getting a new powerbook+external display, do people think I should get the better looking Apple (I'd prefer to give my $$ to apple over dell...) or the Dell with more input/output options? I would use it as a second monitor (or maybe to replace the powerbooks screen when at home). I'd use it for watching DVDs as well (close the powerbook and use it as a big display for movies). I would love to get an xbox 360 but I dont think I game nearly enough to spend the ~$500 for a full set up, however if I ever did I would be able to use the 360 on the Dell, but not the Apple, thats my one Issue, if the Apple had component in, I would get it, what do people think? thanks a lot!

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
colosodian said:
dell, it has more features, for lower cost.

Why waste money on the apple?

Why go on an Apple related site and bash Apple ? :rolleyes:

MOST people like the Apple display's because of the size / look, and some even say the display quality is more crisp and bright.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Another thing to consider as well is that Apple will be updating their display line in the very near future, possibly even as early as MWSF. They already have new displays (the new 20" iMac display is better than Apple's existing 20" display) so it's just a question of when. I would at least wait to see what goodies Apple releases with their new displays first. And in any case, I would not call it "wasting money on the Apple" - the Apple displays are excellent choices as well. :cool:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
840quadra said:

MOST people like the Apple display's because of the size / look, and some even say the display quality is more crisp and bright.

That's what people do here. do any of these sound familiar?

@(*@%#$ Powerbook Lines!
@%*@#%* Noisy Imacs!
#@&&( Scratched Nano!

This is macrumors.com forums, not iloveapplenomatterwhatthequalityoftheirproductis.com.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Apple said:
I thought that the actual LCD of the Dell and the Apple were made by the same companies.

they are. I know for sure that the 20" of apple and dell use identical LG LCD

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
840quadra said:

he was not bashing apple.. he was simply saying why spend more just for an apple logo on the hardware when you can get the same screen in a different case for much less $

anyway.. to answer the thread topic question. go for the dell since it can do more than apple's displays. the dell has dvi, vga, composite, s-video aswell as rotate and a 4 port usb 2 hub as well as a memory card reader all built in to the display. all apples does is have a dvi connection and look pretty plus its an inch smaller.

go with dell. I have their 20" widescreen and love it so the 24 would be even better.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
zen.state said:
he was not bashing apple.. he was simply saying why spend more just for an apple logo on the hardware when you can get the same screen in a different case for much less $

Just for an Apple logo? Not really... some people are willing to spend the extra cash for a higher quality and more attractive exterior. I refuse to connect a Dell display to a Mac as my primary display, unless of course it's in an aluminum/silver enclosure. Don't be so fast to jump to conclusions.

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Apple said:
I thought that the actual LCD of the Dell and the Apple were made by the same companies.
For the ACD's I know they are both the same model made by LG. Not sure about the iMac though. Never knew that it was a different monitor.

colosodian said:
Why waste money on the apple?

And as for wasting money on an ACD insted of a Dell, well I would. Call me shallow but the aesthetics of a display is really important to me because that is whats sitting on my desk, that is the first thing people see. And I take very special care in making my work enviroment pleasing so I can get alot more work done. Others don't care what their work areas look like and more power to them if they get the work done.

But even if I were to buy something other than an ACD (I'm not that much of a zealot when it comes to brand loyalty, even with Apple :p ) it would not be a Dell. Their monitors are great for a great price, but the bezel is butt ugly and they have talked ALOT of smack about Apple in the past that I would never be associated with that company unless I had to.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
For the ACD's I know they are both the same model made by LG. Not sure about the iMac though. Never knew that it was a different monitor.

As I said, the iMac's display received an upgrade this past go-around. The iMac's 20" display is now brighter and has twice the contrast ratio of the 20" cinema display. :cool:

Dr. Dastardly said:
And as for wasting money on an ACD insted of a Dell, well I would.

I wouldn't call it wasting money.... ;)

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I would never buy anything but an Apple computer and I would certainly
never buy a Dell Computer, but the Dell 24" 2405 FPW display is wonderful
and I haven't had one single quality control issue.
None, no dead pixels no complaints what so ever.

As far as I know the Dell 24" uses a Samsung Screen.

Honestly the catalog photos don't do it justice.

As a work surface all you see is screen.
The frame is nearly invisable as you work on it.

The images are bright and crisp and that's very important when you spend
endless hours in front of it.

The detail is almost too sharp for some people.

When watching DVD's you will notice production faults in the film that you would not notice on an inferior display.

Apple displays were the best you could buy when they were using Sony
as their subcontractor, but the complaints I've heard about ACD quality control issues have not been short lived from some bad batch run.
They still continue and that is not worth paying a premium for style.

bursty

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2004
I am a function-over-form guy, which is why I bought a Dell 2005FPW. If Apple had the exact same connectivity at the same price, obviously I would have bought Apple. I am not going to spend an extra couple hundred bucks just because it looks pretty....:rolleyes:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
bursty said:
I am a function-over-form guy, which is why I bought a Dell 2005FPW. If Apple had the exact same connectivity at the same price, obviously I would have bought Apple. I am not going to spend an extra couple hundred bucks just because it looks pretty....:rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I do think it would be who of Apple to justify their markup with a 0 dead pixel program or something. Apple does cater alot to the creative crowd and just about all pros I know would not stand one dead pixel on their screen.

Like one pro photographer I know who was going to buy a 30 incher said...

"3,999,999 pixels out of 4,000,000 is not good enough." :p

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
zen.state said:

I don't see any "White" Text, the poster said exactly "Why waste money on the apple?"

Hence my response.

I now correctly understand that they are exactly the same display inside. Thanks for sharing that with me everyone, I obviously didn't know that :) .

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I will repeat what I said on an earlier thread. I've worked extensively with the ACD 23'', and own the Dell 2405, and for the price/performance, there is no question. NONE. The Dell wins hands down.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
Dr. Dastardly said:
But even if I were to buy something other than an ACD (I'm not that much of a zealot when it comes to brand loyalty, even with Apple :p ) it would not be a Dell. Their monitors are great for a great price, but the bezel is butt ugly and they have talked ALOT of smack about Apple in the past that I would never be associated with that company unless I had to.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

Not being a zealot and not buying another companies products just because some one talked (in a displeasing way) about your *fav* company donot go well! Just accept it & yes you are shallow:D :p

The problem is apple LCDs donot have the features and i think being able to adjust height ranks some where quite up there in my list of priorities (not to mention the connectivity). And FYI apple has the worst policy wrt to dead pixels, period. That alone scares me!!

kingcrowing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 24, 2004
Burlington, VT
well thanks everyone. Since I'd be using it with a powerbook, I'd like it to look the same, but I feel that the dell is a better value and has more future options, and I think Apple has realized this over the past ~6 months when Dell has become #1 w/ displays (at least from what I've read) So I'm going to wait untill MWSF to see if they update it at all. Then I'll decide. one question though, are the aspect ratios the same in the Dell and Apple 24"/23"? and If you are watching a widescreen movie (something like Troy, Star wars, Indiana Jones, Firefly, IE andy big time action uber-widescreen movie) are there any black bars at all? Because I know the 20" LCDs do, thanks

colosodian

macrumors member
May 1, 2005
SF Bay Area
840quadra said:

I wasnt aware that I was bashing anything....
The dell uses the same panel at a lower cost to the end user. Some people may enjoy the luxury of paying more simply for the look of the monitor, but I am not one of those people.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
I believe I read somewhere that Dell may be updating their displays in Jan. as well.

I have to agree with the opinion that the ACD isn't worth the extra money. I love macs and certainly won't buy another PC, but I can't justify literally HUNDREDS of extra dollars spent on aesthetics.

ibilly

macrumors regular
May 2, 2003
Boulder
Widescreen

I'm pretty sure that, lile the PB, the aspect ratio of all apple widescreens is 3:2. regular 'tv' ratio is 4:3, and wide wide screen in 16:9. this may seem confusing, but look @ how close, by %, the numbers are to each other, and you'll get an idea.

BTW, many digital cameras, including the Canon DSLRs shoot in 3:2 aspect ratios.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
colosodian said:
I wasnt aware that I was bashing anything....
The dell uses the same panel at a lower cost to the end user. Some people may enjoy the luxury of paying more simply for the look of the monitor, but I am not one of those people.

I understand that thanks to some posts pervious to your 2nd.

840quadra said:
I now correctly understand that they are exactly the same display inside. Thanks for sharing that with me everyone, I obviously didn't know that :) .

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
If you can spare the cash, buy an Apple. If you want to save your money for a faster machine, more ram, etc., buy a Dell. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.