Apple 24" Cinema Display 'Blinking' problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RLUK, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RLUK macrumors newbie

I purchased a 24" Cinema display a few weeks back for use with my uMBP and within the first week noticed that the display went black while I was using it and then came back on.

Initially I dismissed it and thought that I must have knocked a cable but it then happened a few more times while I was using it on different days/weeks. The speakers and other devices plugged into the USB port continue to work when it happens so I am sure it is not a mains power problem.

I spoke to AppleCare and after resetting the PRAM hoping that would fix it, they are collecting it for repair :(. I am hoping they are able to identify the problem as it's a great monitor other than this issue but as it is quite intermittent it is hard to find a pattern.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix?

2. gnr319 macrumors member

I have this problem with my setup. There is a lengthy discussion on this issue on the Apple Site discussion boards and it is really a mystery. The same symptoms occur even after getting replacement displays.

BTW, what do you mean Apple is collecting it? Do they send you a box to ship your display? I've been meaning to get this problem checked out but I do not have a car so it is difficult for me to bring my display to a genius bar but if Apple "collects" it then perhaps I will give applecare a ring :)

3. RLUK thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have an Apple store near me and so after discussions with AppleCare they put me through to a level 2 advisor who is arranging for a courier to collect the display from me to take it to the Apple repair centre.

The only downside is that I will be without the display for up to 10 working days which isn't really what I wanted considering the cost of it but this would be the case if you took it to see a genius at the store as they wouldn't be able to do the repair there and then anyway.

4. darkus macrumors regular

This is so scary to read. I dont consider this a 'minor' issue. WHy is apple quality going down in general? My previous gen MBP has been a damn tank, no problems at all. But now it seems the new MBPs have problems and now the new ACDs too?? damn.