apple 24" LED buzzing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sab150, Aug 25, 2009.

1. sab150 macrumors regular

anyone else have this? slightly worried as my old one didn't make this noise! its louder than my macbook pro! this issue does subside when it warms up but sounds like a power related issue..

why cant stuff just work!

2. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

can anyone confirm it is normal for this to buzz for the 1st ten mins of use? as my old one diddnt.. apart from that the display is perfect so im reluctant to return!!

3. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

There's an entire thread on it here. A search can often find the answers faster than waiting for members to post. ;)

5. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

heya thanks but i have read that before.. i think i am experiencing something entirely different! its like a humming when i start the thing up and it is beyond irritating

edit: wow thanks i diddnt realise there was already a topic i have googled it to death!

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

At least you tried to find it. :D

As the information is limited, I can only hazzard a guess, but I'd think it's the PSU (noisy filter/s subsides as it warms up <stabilizes from startup current draw & temp>).

7. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

iv only had it for a couple of days.. will it dye down or will i have to replace the unit?

8. nanofrog macrumors G4

Give it a few days if you can. IIRC, the return policy is 14 days, just as it is for Mac's, but check to be sure.

The reason is, new electronics, particularly capacitors, do have a break-in period. PSU's stress them fairly hard. It's not that long though, and bad design and cheapening out of component quality has become endemic in consumer electronics lately. :mad: That translates into cheap parts, that won't actually perform the job well, combined with bad design (too little capacitance to serve their function for example), resulting in poor quality and functional products. :(

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

10. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

i have definitely noticed this lately with apple products, i have used a fair few macs and apple products over the last 8years and cant get over how poor the quality of the products are nowadays.. i think its more todo with production than the final products because when you get one without defects they are brilliant pieces of equipment, but by saving say $10 per item on poor prodution quality they have lost out big time because i have returned 2 macbook pros and 2 cinema displays due to various defects.

its not acceptable for a "premium company" i have said it before, i wouldn't mind if you diddnt have to pay a premium on there products if it was a midrange system i would live with it.. but im not paying premium prices for midrange quality :)

11. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks! think im gunna have to play the quality lottery again by returning this one!

12. nanofrog macrumors G4

You could try leaving it on and active (moving image) for 24hrs or so. Then turn it off for 30 min, and turn it back on. See if that solves it (rapid break-in). This used to be done with computer systems once upon a time (up to 72hrs). :p

If it's still happening, then return it (assuming the return is via shipping, not a local Apple store). Otherwise, just take it back. :D

13. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

ha thanks! well i turned it on today and it diddnt make much of a fuss! thanks for the advice il start using it abit more intensively and hope it has done the trick

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: Good luck, and post how it goes. :)

15. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

argg its buzzing again.. looks like another trip to apple store! i dont have time for this.. would it look silly if i took a sheet in so i could check for back light bleed on the new model? dont want all this hassle again!

16. nanofrog macrumors G4

D what you've got to do. :D