apple 24" LED + external hardrive for time machine backups

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sab150, Aug 18, 2009.

1. sab150 macrumors regular

can this be done?

i leave my 24"led as a dock (with the hard drive attached to one of the usbs) and then when im home i plug macbook pro in to the displayport adaptor thing and it backs up via time capsule? ..will this cause problems?

also if this does work what would be the best 1tb drive to do this? i want one that auto spins down

help!

2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

3. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

hey im running off time capsule at the moment but only a week old so may return as i thought i could replace my old router.. i cant get the signal anywhere near as good as a crappy netgear that was free from sky! the 5gh band doesnt even show up half the time.. the range is awful!

4. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

restore the TC to factory settings and start over? Try airport extreme and connect an external HD that way for the same effect.

But I guess to answer your question from your first post. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

5. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have a somewhat similar setup, albeit much more complicated. I have a main Airport Extreme plugged into my cable modem, running through a gigabit switch to every ethernet port in the house, then an Express on the main floor, plugged in via ethernet, then another Extreme on the second floor, also plugged in via ethernet. Attached to that is a 1.5TB Seagate drive I got from Costco for $139.99 (replaced a 750gb Maxtor that died and I got a full refund for :)). That backs up two iMacs connected via ethernet and a MBP via ethernet or wireless N. I have my network set up to allow the MBP to connect to all three wireless routers, so the strongest signal wins, and it can always access the backup drive. If you are having connection problems, maybe consider bringing that old router out of retirement and doing something similar. Mine has been working perfectly for a week (just moved) with two networked printers, 5 computers, 2 iPod touches, a server, the backup drive, an Xbox 360, 3 routers, and a D-Link switch.

6. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

sounds a great setup! i made a post earlyer asking for help for the best way to set up my time capsule into my home network/media can you help?

do you think it is better plugging a hard drive to my cinema display and just using it wired?.. what happenes when time machine checks on the hour and there is nothing to connect to?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=767103

thats where im at!

7. sab150 thread starter macrumors regular

still want to know if it is actually possible to run hard drive attached to cinema display and then outputted through the displays output cable to use as time machine on a portable macbook pro

many thanks

8. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Nothing at all. I've gone weeks without backing up (didn't really have anything to backup though)

The first backup will take the longest because it's copying EVERYTHING from your hard drive. After that it only looks for new things to backup. So if you don't have anything to backup, then it won't be a problem. Even if you only plugged it in once per day, that'd be fine.

9. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I use several usb-things connected to my MacBook Pro via my 24" LED display. Everything works fine, even with an extra powered USB hub connected to the monitor.
    Just be aware to eject your drive or shut down your laptop before you unplug.

10. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

It's definitely faster via USB, but it's much more convenient wireless or wired via Time Capsule. When you aren't connected, it postpones the backup until you are, and the Time Machine icon in the menu bar says Backup: Delayed. I posted on your other thread with this diagram of my network and some advice. I posted it here too.

Attached Files: