Apple 24" LED for editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brendanryder, Feb 26, 2009.

1. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

What is your opinion on the new apple 24" display for editing video/pictures? I would be hhooking it up to my mbp and sell my iMac as I hate having 2 computers

So would it be a good choice?

I should also mention I would be buying it for 599 because I can get a great deal through work.

Thanks

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I went with the anti glare MBP over the glossy because I think that the glossy enhances the color giving "fake" color, which you DON'T want when dealing with video or pictures. You want the real color not the over-saturated or enhanced color.

David

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The screen would be similar in quality to your 24" iMac.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

That is true. It would be glossy like all new Apple screens are. There's really no getting around the glossy screens with Apple now.

David

5. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

WOW, thanks Goethe quick replies haha.

The glossy display does give that added bit of fake color but I don't find it to be that noticible when editing then printing photos from my iMac. There is a small difference but not alot. The only reason I thought about picking this up is price. It's a killer deal. I was also debating the dell 24" that can be height/ length adjusted but it's almost 150-200$ more depending on shipping.

Is there anytype of plugin for "color" in FCS that could correct this? Haha.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's useless for evaluating what a video image looks like. As a computer monitor it's fine though if you don't mind glossy.

Lethal

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

the Dell 24"(ultrasharp 2408) is on sale right now for $500US(reg 670).

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you were paying the retail price ($899), I would have suggested the Dell 30" 3007WFP for $1199, but seeing this $699, I'd say go for it.

9. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

ya, i saw that the other day, but i live in canada... haha thanks tho!

once again, its not on sale in canada... haha its getting annoying.
    And i bough it tonight for 599.99 and took it home, opened it up and it was in MINT condition, no scratches or anything! but, its a faulty unit. The display doesnt work, but the sound and power does. I did some research and did everything but nothing worked.

Now, would apple exchange it if i took it to them? or do i have to take it back?

Hopefually apple will give me a new one, or refurb, and then i will just sell it and buy the 30" we have at work haha.

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

How does clear glass with no treatment give "fake color", but a screen that has been treated to scatter light (matte) give true color? If the colors look "enhanced - it's because the matte was ruining it to begin with. "Glossy" displays are only glossy if you have light shining on them, something a pro would NEVER do when editing pictures. Period. :cool:

11. bimmzy macrumors regular

bimmzy

12. Chris7 macrumors 6502

From what I've read here and elsewhere, almost all the pro monitors for photo editing are matte. I personally can't stand glossy for anything -- I think consumers generally prefer it because it looks pretty, but they don't realize the eye strain it causes.

13. EmperorDarius macrumors 6502a

14. brendanryder thread starter macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

Ya those matte apple displays are the best, hands down. But they only make the 30" ones now...

15. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The only way to have glare is if there is a light on in the room or sunlight that you have no control of. A "Pro" must not have any ambient light striking his display wether he has a matte, or non-matte screen. If they do have a lamp shining on their display while they are editing graphics, they are not a pro. If they do that and try to earn a living they will go broke or they have stupid clients.

If your publishing something only to the internet, it doesn't matter what you do because it will look different to everyone that looks at it.

For office workers with light they have no control over, there may be glare which could cause eye strain.

There are different needs for these two different groups.

People keep throwing around this "pro" term - "Pros use matte". Non-sense. They used matte if they had an Apple Cinema Display because they wanted Apple and that's all Apple had.If there no light shining on your screen there's no glare. But if you have a matte screen it will disperse the light that comes through it thus dulling it. There's nothing you can do about that. But a "glossy" screen is simply clear glass that does NOTHING to the light coming through it. The reason colors look "more brilliant" is because that is the source material and you are used to seeing matte make it less brilliant. Matte is something between the image and your eyes, you can't control it. But ambient light can be controlled by a pro.

Remember all those high-end CRT editing monitors? They were all glass ("glossy"), pros would put a hood over it to prevent light striking the surface. You have to do that with glass or matte. Read articles about true artists that work very hard to get their monitor calibrated to give the same results as their printer.

Go to a gallery that has glass in front of a photo, will it be matted? No way. It will be the same clear - no color hue - glass that covers the front of a "glossy" display.

Clear glass does not alter a color, matte does. If someone wants to demonstrate how clear glass alters the color have at it.

16. nick9191 macrumors 68040

^^ The only sane person on here.

Matte is no more "pro" than glossy, period.

17. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

Well, glossy displays can exaggerate colors. The same image on a glossy display and a matte display with a similar backlighting will look different. The question is which is more accurate to the real life object.