Apple 24 LED or 2 Samsung XL2370?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ka Ora!, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Ka Ora! macrumors regular

I have just sold my 30" ACD which just did not agree with me, Too much on the screen caused no end of head aches. Anyway that aside release date of the New Samsung XL2370 is just around the corner with a 24" ACD costs 849,00 Euros and Two Samsung XL2370 come in under 800,00 Euros with delivery. Getting the Samsung s saves buying a new Graphics card as I currently have a Nvidia 8800 in my Early 2008 Mac Pro a ATI Radeon HD 4870 is another 315,00 Euros just to have the new Apple Mini display port. Anyone seen a XL2070 or P2370 up close and personal like. And can comment on the quality? I believe the XL2370 is the same as the P2370 just a change in backlighting.

2. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

As an aside, you can get a GT120 to go in your Mac Pro to provide the MDP port. Doesn't need any power adapters, so you can keep your 8800GT in as well. Cheaper than a 4870.

3. Ka Ora! thread starter macrumors regular

I thought that only worked in the Early 2009 Models, Thats what the store says. Maybe im missing something?

Considered the Dell SP2309W as well as the reviews appear to be good.

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Apple Store says it works in the 2009 only, but it also works in the 2008. I've got one installed at the moment in my 2008 model and it works perfectly.

5. Ka Ora! thread starter macrumors regular

Thats good to know, Might swing it a bit.

6. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I'd rather have a pair of 23" displays 1080 pixels high with 92 DPI than one 24" LCD 1200 pixels high with 92 DPI if it was me.

I currently use dual 19" LCDs and like having 2 displays of the same resolution and size. As my next system is guaranteed to be a Mac Mini at this stage, I need to get 1920 x 1080 displays so I have 2 equally sized screens and one monitor output can shared between one of the LCDs and a LCD TV via a switch box at a later date.

7. Ka Ora! thread starter macrumors regular

I found the 30" ACD to much, Its due to a head injury sometime back. I could never get good performance unless it was in its native res which left me squinting after about 10 mins of use.

But im also a got to be matching freak, I hear nothing but good things about the sammys so I dont mind waiting. And they do look nice, Plus they will match the series 6 TV I have. The Res on the XL2370 "1920x1080" is slightly less than the SP2309A "2048x1152" but personal I think that will suit me more. Would be nice to see them side by side.

8. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

A good customer of mine used to work high-up in sony and he always stated samsung make brilliant screens, there down fall was always crappy sound and speakers but then in tv land isn't that what surround sound amps are for thereby defunking the requirement for built in speakers in the first place. plus hooking in a pair of yamaha hs50 studio monitors will work well as computer speakers.

9. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Sorry to bump this, but I bought the XL2370, and I'll be posting a review on my website (and here) very soon.

Simply put, the monitor is great.

10. BetsRC macrumors newbie

I am very interested in reading your review. I have been torn between the Samsung XL2370 and a NEC EA241WM-BK. I am thinking about getting the new Mini --- but doesn't that only allow mirroring?

11. darkus macrumors regular

Are you using it for games or phootshop work?

12. BetsRC macrumors newbie

It would be for photoshop.

13. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

I want to like the Samsung monitors but cannot stand TN panels or those flimsy stands with no height adjustment.

14. BetsRC macrumors newbie

recommendations?

What would you recommend (for medium price) for color quality? Given that it is impossible for me to compare in a store, I am dependent on reviews and comments. I've seen that the NEC is not so good with grays/blacks. I have a 21" NEC and want a larger but a non-glossy monitor. Thanks for any suggestions.

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

A lot of people buy the HP L2475 but their screens are not very consistent so you may have to replace it until you find one you like. Fortunately HP seems very willing to do this. The Dell U2410 seems to get good reviews too and is the replacement for the 2408. Other than that I would say NEC.

I like this NEC 26-inch display a lot. Sells for around $599.00 I think their quality is more consistent that HP or Dell.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...Flat+Panel-_-NEC+Display+Solutions-_-24002446

I would expect the Apple Cinema display 24' to be updated fairly soon since the monitors on the new 27-inch iMacs put it to shame.

16. BetsRC macrumors newbie

Thanks. Good point about the Apple, but I'd guess it would be another very glossy display and that's what has kept me from buying the 27" iMac. Interesting about the 26" NEC. I had not been considering it, thinking instead about the 24", (or the Samsung) because of this user quote on Amazon: "EA261WM had serious issues differentiating grayscales at the dark end of the spectrum. We observed a strong loss of detail in both black-and-white and color photos. In portraits, people's hair lacked detail, looking like a single-colored mass, where other displays showed off more texture and slight changes in color. Similarly, the tree line in a sunset landscape looked like a solid mass rather than the individual tress that appeared on other monitors.

This same issue presented itself in our movie test..."

17. gstylez macrumors member

gstylez

Samsung XL2370

I sold my Apple 23-inch Cinema Display (Aluminum) because I needed the cash. I just bought the Samsung XL2370 and I guess it's OK for $299 price tag. The Apple display I had even though it was outdated was 5x better than the Samsung. I will be returning the Samsung within the next 30 days and will be getting either the Apple 24-inch LED display or LaCie 324 LCD Monitor. If you want a really good monitor I think you need to spend over $700. That's just my opinion.

:apple::rolleyes:

18. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Its certainly possible he had a bad one. But NEC will replace it without issue. Same with the HP. For the price both are hard to beat as long as you are willing to get replacements if you have an issue. Once you get a good one it will stay good. HP made some major changes in Mch 2009 that seem to have solved the complaints some people had so as long as it was made after that you are probably fine. It's quite a monitor for the price.

19. Sthum macrumors newbie

Hi!

This topic is very relevant to my current predicament! I would be interested in anyones opinion re same:

I have been struggling to make a decision regarding the purchase of a Samsung XL 2370 and an Apple 24" led cinema display for my Home Recording Studio setup!
    I know the Apple display is probably superior in terms of quality and the wow cool factor! But I wonder do I really need it as I am only working with LOGIC Pro 9?

I have already ordered my 27" iMac i7 Quad core display from MacUniverse, along with the Apple 24" led cd!
    I'm now asking myself is there really a big difference in quality considering my intended purpose for these displays, especially when you factor in the difference in cost!

My 27" iMac is being built to order so I have time to change my mind if I want to.
    I now believe that the Samsung LED XL 2370 seems to be the better cheaper option, I have googled with interest other peoples opinions and they all seem to be very positive!
    With the money I'm saving I could buy other badly needed equipment for my home studio!

Having said that I do want my second display to produce a stunning image, i would like it to be on a par or close to the quality of my main display (27" iMac)!
    I've heard great reports about the Samsung XL 2370 in that it produces a stunning picture, as it is an LED screen does it produce a stunning image or were u disappointed with it and why are you returning it?

I am not into photography so i don't really need another costly Apple led display! I just need to view my mixers etc on my second display?
    Am i doing the right thing here?
    Am I making sense?

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated!

20. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I thought it was good for the price because of the benefits of the LED backlight. It definitely looked better than anything else I saw in the store, but I had some problems with it that were just too bad to ignore. The backlight bleeding was so bad at the bottom that anything bright on the screen looked washed out and lost detail in the bottom half of the screen. Any content on the screen that was dark looked bad because the backlight bleed was a navy blue color that made blacks look blue. I've heard a few others with the same complaint, so it wasn't just a rare bad unit.

My advise is to buy it somewhere that has a good return policy, and decide for yourself if it will suffice for your needs.

Also something you might check on is buying the 24" LED Cinema Display refurb. They sell for $599. I ordered one yesterday, but now they're out of stock again.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB382LL/A

21. Makosuke macrumors 603

While the Apple monitor uses a much more color-accurate (and wider-viewing-angle) IPS panel versus the XL2370's TN, which is why it costs so much more, in your case I see absolutely zero reason other than aesthetics to buy the more expensive screen.

The color accuracy does nothing for you in Logic Pro, and since you're getting a new iMac you've ALREADY got a very good IPS panel built in to that. Meaning that for general use on non-Logic related things, you've got the beautiful iMac screen, and I doubt you'll be doing much with the secondary monitor. And when you're in Logic and need the extra space, the color accuracy/viewing angle of the XL2370 shouldn't be a significant issue.

You also don't need the built-in camera and speakers on the Apple monitor, since of course the iMac has its own of both.

(It's probably too late to make a difference to the earlier poster, but for reference the newer Minis have no problem with two monitors not in mirrored mode--Apple dropped that restriction a long time ago.)

22. Sthum macrumors newbie

Thankyou Folks, I really appreciate you taking time to help me!

I've decided to buy the Samsung XL 2370 as my second screen!
    The fact it has LED backlighting is just too good to ignore, hopefully I won't get a duff unit?
    Your right when you say to check that the seller has a good returns policy.
    I will make sure that they do! I wouldn't have thought of this had you not mentioned it!!;) So thankyou for doing so!

I live just outside Belfast so the refurb route isn't as widely available here as it is in the states.

My initial order included the following:

27" iMac i7 Core Quad, with 8 gb ram!
    1 x 24" Apple Cinema Display
    3 x Euphonix Mixers
    1 x Euphonix Control
    1 x Euphonix MC Transport
    Logic Studio 2
    3 yrs Apple Care

I know.... it sounds really cool dos'nt it? Well.. i've got a whole year to pay it off which isn't so cool!

As mentioned before I had originally ordered an extra display, the 24" Apple LED Cinema screen.
    After a while I thought to myself that it was just a waste of good money, just because it would look really cool having two apple screens sitting side by side!
    I came to my senses eventually!

If you check the online reviews for the XL2370 you will see that for the most part they are very positive! Its also a very cool looking screen!

Thanks again for your help!

Regards

Sthum...

23. macerdoodle macrumors newbie

Sorry to dig up an old topic, but I've just bought an XL2370 and have a resolution question. I've got it hooked up via HDMI to my brand new MBP with high-res screen. The max resolution I can get in system prefs on the Samsung is a horrible 1600x900, while the MBP is doing 1680x1050. What gives? :confused:
    Any ideas? Thanks in advance! I want this display to work right - it's brand new too!

24. jon08 macrumors 65816

I was also wondering about this - have you figured out a solution for this problem? Is it simply that you should have worked in "clamshell mode" for the monitor to display the full 1920x1080 resolution?

25. east1999bt macrumors newbie

It may have something to do with the fact that 1600x900 is a 16:9 ratio and the 1680x1050 is 16:10 ratio