Apple 27" Cinema Display dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mhartington, Aug 20, 2014.

1. mhartington macrumors newbie

So like the title says, my 27" Cinema Display is dead, kind of. So the video is out, but the usb audio and charger still work fine. Also, when it's plugged in, my laptop still recognizes the display.

I did some research and found some people have said it's an issue with the logic board or the lcd panel.

Has anyone else had this issue? If so, was it something that could be fixed or should I just buy a new one?

2. asriznet macrumors regular

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a faulty hardware there...
    Nothing much to troubleshoot on cinema display - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2810

Just for the heck of it I would just attempt and SMC + NVRAM reset on the mac while connected to the display.

If there's no video output, i'm thinking it's the display itself. If you bought the display with another mac that has AppleCare Protection Plan on it, it should cover the display as well, that is if the AppleCare Protection Plan is still active as of now.

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Take it to the Apple store and let them quote a repair. Then you can make a straight forward business decision based on cost vs benefit. It the cost of repair to high, then time to look for replacements.

4. mhartington thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, both of you.

So the odd this is, I left the display unplugged over night and now it works again o_O

Not sure what the issue is now. If it was hardware, it wouldn't work again now would it?