Apple 27" display and work laptop via VGA

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Uabcar, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I really want to pickup either the 27" cd or tb display. My main machine is a late 2009 mini. Works fine for now but will likely upgrade it in a year or two (so a tb display would make more sense long term).

My problem is that I somehow need to be able to connect my work PC to it via a VGA cable when I work from home. Is there an easy solution to this that does not involve manually swapping cables? Preferably a switching box of some sort. Obviously I want to run the mini at 2560x1440 so I expect this limits switching solutions to some extent.

Any ideas.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

you will have to get the cinema display. Not the thunderbolt. Sorry.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is no way to get a 27" Apple display to run off of a VGA connection. DVI, maybe. But never VGA.

4. Uabcar thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Just read about that.

Based on the last response- sounds like there is no solution for connecting a cd via VGA.

5. Heavertron macrumors regular

I had to get the TB display, it is wonderful. My crummy solution was to buy £100 Dell 1080p monitor just to use with my windows PC, therefore having two monitors. Even a ACD will need an expensive dual link DVI to MDP switch to run two systems, these can cost £100 alone. No good solution really.

6. Ashok0 macrumors regular

Actually, I did manage to get my ACD27" to work with my old VGA Xbox 360 by going from VGA (Xbox)->VGA->HDMI, HDMI->mDP->mDP (ACD27") but the video was only 480p.

That being said, I have no idea if such a daisy chain would work on a notebook or if it would support 2560x1440.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This step requires a converter to convert the analog VGA signal to a digital HDMI signal. But it would never look nice or be able to drive the 27" ACD at its full resolution.