Apple 2FA Code on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jabz10, Nov 1, 2017.

1. jabz10 macrumors member

Hi,
    Whenever I try sign into a Apple service, i.e. iCloud on my MBP, the MBP it selfs shows the 2FA code.
    Isn't this a security issue, why is the device I'm signing in from showing the code to use?

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

It's 2 factor authentication, so without the first factor it doesn't really mean much. Assuming someone stole your laptop, they'd need both codes to access the thing. Even if you left it open and someone tried to log in, they'd still need the first code.

3. jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

Well no not really. Only the 2nd factor is the code, the 1st factor is your appleid password.
    If someone found out my AppleId password, and stole or had access to my laptop. They could try signing in, and the laptop would display the 2FA code on the very same laptop they are using, which is a security flaw. Doesn't make sense. It should only show the 2FA code on OTHER trusted devices, not the device you are signing into.

Has noone experienced this before?

4. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

Are you getting the pop-up screen with the code or is it a text message that is coming in through Messages?

5. jabz10 thread starter macrumors member

6. planetf1 macrumors 6502

planetf1

Yes I get exactly this and agree it seems to break the 2fa method?