Apple 2GB File Limit?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mBox, Nov 12, 2010.

1. mBox macrumors 68020

I sent an email to Steve about this.
    Yea I know it sounds a bit extreme but we haven't been able to use Adobe CS5 After Effects in our workflow because of this so called "2GB file limit" bug.
    Adobe claims that its Apples problem not theirs.
    Ridiculous, I mean I thought CS4 was the worse upgrade for us :(
    If anyones interested, here are some links on this problem:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2974739#2974739
    http://forums.adobe.com/message/3208470#3208470
    http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/987109#987221

We tried rendering locally with all resources on local drive and still cant get this to work :p

2. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow!

close too 200 views and no one else is having this problem?
    I cant be the only one running Adobe CS5 After Effects on the Mac?

3. boch82 macrumors 6502

Im looking at a bunch of 8-10gb files I render out every day. I think the last time I had a 2gb limit error was after effects 6

From the links above, just render to a local drive then copy to shared drives. Its one extra step but less headache

4. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Current set-up fails even at rendering to local. I guess its strictly AE CS5 cause I tested on Premiere CS5 with no problems (rendering to local). I havent tested network with Premiere CS5.
    Now as far as rendering to local, this is not going to work for us.
    We output a lot of data at high res files some up to 100GB.
    Now that were about to take on RED One, we def need this too work soon.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

As far as know, that has been an ongoing problem with AE when rendering to network drives. It has something to do a bug that exists with one of Apple's Quicktime APIs (at least that's where Adobe is pointing the finger). Their current suggestion is to output the video to image sequences (DPX, TIFF, Targa, JPEG, etc.) and work that way. I know it's not exactly ideal, but it works.

However, not being to render >2GB QT files from AE to local drives is very bizarre. I composite in AE CS5 almost EVERY single day with video files (lots of RED stuff rendered to ProRes 4444) and DPX sequences that are several gigabytes in size. No problems on my machine...stumped. :confused:

6. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

Yes its been well documented but not fixed. Stupid me bought the whole dept CS5 upgrades back in May and finally installed it August.
    Gone are the days when you upgrade the same day its delivered thanks to the CS4 debacle (that was worse cause it was crashing across all apps).
    Were just about to get a new shipment of Mac Pro 12-Cores (one for RED Rocket). Ill start with a new install and see if the local drive render problem still exists.
    Good thing we still have CS4 running on all systems.
    Also, were using MainConcept MPEG Reference to render straight to MPG2 (HD Res). This was also crashing using CS5. This workflow is flawless with CS4.
    A good chunk of my day to day rendering is for Digital Signage thus the MPG2 format.
    I cant understand why Apple and Adobe cant fix this :p

7. mBox thread starter macrumors 68020

MainConcept

We just upgraded to the latest MainConcept MPEG Refence Encoder v2.1.
    All is well now for rendering out of CS5 apps.
    I guess the good thing about all this is that were not lugging around Uncompressed QT anymore.
    I still think its bunk that we cant do this.
    My average m2v/mpg file is under 200megs.
    I guess Im good :)