Apple 2Q 2008 SEC Filing: Strong Laptop, Desktop, Retail Performance

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple yesterday filed its quarterly 10Q statement with the SEC. While the company had highlighted its fiscal performance in its conference call on April 23rd, the SEC filing provides a more granular view into the performance of various Apple products and initiatives.

Apple's retail performance was particularly impressive, gaining the company 74% more sales than the year ago quarter.

Strong Mac sales were shown to be based on both portable and desktop sales. 856,000 desktops and 1,433,000 laptops were sold representing 37% and 61% unit growth, respectively.

The increases in Mac net sales and unit sales were driven primarily by sales of the new MacBook Air, introduced in January 2008, and higher sales of the iMac and other Mac portable systems. The Mac unit growth rate of 51% and 48% in the second quarter of 2008 and the first six months of 2008, respectively, exceeded the estimated growth rate of the overall personal computer industry during those timeframes reflecting strong customer demand for the Company’s Mac products.
Raw Data: Apple 10Q for Q2 2008 (pdf)

Article Link

D4F

Sep 18, 2007
Planet Earth
*Flame suit on.
Just to quote a few people on this forums.
Apple sucks, everybody hates them, nobody will buy that crap, it's obvious they are worse than other brands, every user hates their display, nobody likes the glossy screen and blah blah blah.

It's amazing how good Apple is doing since everybody hates them and thinks their product suck...
:D:D:D

Good stuff :)

andrewdale

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
*Flame suit on.

It's amazing how good Apple is doing since everybody hates them and thinks their product suck...
:D:D:D

Good stuff :)
Haha. It's so true. Apple just sucks don't they? That's why and I thousands others shuck out thousands of dollars for their products

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Strong Mac sales were shown to be based on both portable and desktop sales. 856,000 desktops and 1,433,000 laptops were sold representing 37% and 61% unit growth, respectively.
It figures that Apples notebooks outsell their desktops. The notebooks use a good mainstream design. By this I means a hinged cover that contains an LCD monitor and the closed cover protects the keyboard.

But look at the slower selling desktop lineup. Just goofy stuff like a "way small" and "all in one" and a "way expensive". Just think how many more desk top computers Apple could sell if they had even just one "not-goofy" machine.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
Long long ago in a galaxy far away, there was a saying that was held to be TRUTH: "No one was ever fired for buying IBM products."

Since then the MIS-management people that held dear to that TRUTH have retired or other wise gone out to pasture along with their toadies who merely upgraded the TRUTH to include MicroSoft.

Now a new day has dawned and a new movement is upon the land; the old TRUTH has become questioned and tested and found wanting. Captive minds locked away in the dark since 1984 have stumbled into the light 24 years late and see TRUTH for the first time.

;)

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
It figures that Apples notebooks outsell their desktops. The notebooks use a good mainstream design. By this I means a hinged cover that contains an LCD monitor and the closed cover protects the keyboard.

But look at the slower selling desktop lineup. Just goofy stuff like a "way small" and "all in one" and a "way expensive". Just think how many more desk top computers Apple could sell if they had even just one "not-goofy" machine.
Yep, that's why the report also mentions how well the iMac is selling. :rolleyes:

gifford

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2007
Miserable England
Macbook Air was a complete failure as many people on here suspected ;) It doesn't even have ethernet or DVD, who the hell was gonna buy that ridiculous device, what were Apple thinking.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
These are great numbers.

Now all Apple has to remember is that THIS was their main source of revenue back in the day. The iPods will inevitably have to morph into some other device, like the Touch and iPhone. The iPod is not a stable thing to make your money on, it was however a great turbo boost to get a lot of money in a short time.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom
I want to know how much profit they earn on each MBA sold.
Probably not the answer you're looking for but:

"Enough to make it worthwhile."

Apple pick their fights wisely. They seem to be driven by two simple aims: bring something new to the table and do it profitably.

edit: and of course, the second feeds the first. More profit leads to more resources for R&D and that breeds innovation.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I want to know how much profit they earn on each MBA sold.
Probably not the answer you're looking for but:

"Enough to make it worthwhile."

Apple pick their fights wisely. They seem to be driven by two simple aims: bring something new to the table and do it profitably.

edit: and of course, the second feeds the first. More profit leads to more resources for R&D and that breeds innovation.
I bet profit margin was fairly small, with a vision that falling component costs would increase profit over time.
Gene Munster has said that he doesn't think the margins are that great, but I'm not convinced. I think the margins are probably better than the MacBook but not as good as the MacBook Pro.

Like some of you have said, I also think that Apple may get better margins as time goes along.

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
they would sell alot more desktops if Apple had a more diversified desktop product line.

Wished for Product Line:
Mac Mini
iMac
Mythical Midsided Tower Mac
Mac Pro

Marzzz

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2002
The Desert
Now all Apple has to remember is that THIS was their main source of revenue back in the day. The iPods will inevitably have to morph into some other device, like the Touch and iPhone. The iPod is not a stable thing to make your money on, it was however a great turbo boost to get a lot of money in a short time.
You bring up an interesting point- I have owned several iPods, and to tell you the truth the one I most enjoy using is my 2G shuffle. But these days I am pretty much tired of the 1500+ songs I have on all my iPod devices, and spend much more time listening to satellite radio. My next iPod will be the iPhone 2G, but other than replacing a shuffle if it breaks down, I don't see myself buying any more iPods. What Apple should consider doing is somehow incorporating a Satellite Radio receiver into the (3G?) iPhone, with the ability to instantly buy a song that is currently/recently played direct from ITunes.

Oilbrnr

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Long long ago in a galaxy far away, there was a saying that was held to be TRUTH: "No one was ever fired for buying IBM products."

Since then the MIS-management people that held dear to that TRUTH have retired or other wise gone out to pasture along with their toadies who merely upgraded the TRUTH to include MicroSoft.

Now a new day has dawned and a new movement is upon the land; the old TRUTH has become questioned and tested and found wanting. Captive minds locked away in the dark since 1984 have stumbled into the light 24 years late and see TRUTH for the first time.

;)
I want some of what this guy is smoking! Talk about a galaxy far, far away! :rolleyes:

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
they would sell alot more desktops if Apple had a more diversified desktop product line.

Wished for Product Line:
Mac Mini
iMac
Mythical Midsided Tower Mac
Mac Pro
In addition, the mac mini is in desperate need of an update. So basically the choice is either a very expense professional desktop or an all-in-one design that many people don't want.

I would like to see Apple expand the laptop line slightly as well. I would like to see a 15" MBA. Slightly wider, enough room for Montevina Platform and larger HDD.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"My Own Private Idaho”
The increases in Mac net sales and unit sales were driven primarily by sales of the new MacBook Air, introduced in January 2008, and higher sales of the iMac and other Mac portable systems. The Mac unit growth rate of 51% and 48% in the second quarter of 2008 and the first six months of 2008, respectively, exceeded the estimated growth rate of the overall personal computer industry during those timeframes reflecting strong customer demand for the Company’s Mac products.
good news. i guess the Macbook Air did better than i thought
I'm surprised with the iMac sales - usually, people don't go for All-In-Ones, except for Macs I guess...

We got one at church last October and it's been great. I just hate to get rid of the whole unit with the nice screen when it comes time to upgrade....

sleepingworker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2003
Manhattan, NY
it's is not a failure at all, it's just a different product for a different market.

Ries
He was being VERY sarcastic! On topic - great to read this. Apple products will never be for everyone but this is so much better than the days when every financial analyst was predicting Apple's immediate demise.

TanToday

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
For the puppies here, a little HIS-STORY about 1984 and a prediction about 1995, Apple WAS right, the only problem is they sidelined Jobs and it took a little longer than expected.

All you "youn'uns" liss'en up here, and learn y'erself sum'tn.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhGpU5wjTJ4