Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
My 30" ACD was replaced in 2012 by Apple. Then I didn't use it for two or three years. So it is still basically new.

Like all sizes of ACD's it suffers from the "middle pin not working" in its power adapter, where you have to tape it off. I'm getting frustrated because the tape keeps wearing out due to the heat.

My question is: somewhere on the internet I saw someone had made a tiny plastic piece to fit inside these adapters to make them work.

Does anyone here remember this and/or know where I can get one?

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I don't have this ACD so have never encountered the problem.
However just checked out a YTube clip 'A1097 Broken Power Adapter fix for a 23" Apple Cinema HD Display' which I presume is similar to the fix you have already done.
If ordinary electrical tape wears out due to heat, I would attempt a similar repair using Kapton tape which should resist the higher temps. Give it a try at least.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I've just had another thought on this. Try cutting a small length of plasic tubing from the end of a Bic ball-point pen refill and see if that slips confortably over the power cord connector middle pin(s). Believe the outer dia. of these pen refills are a nominal 3mm, with inner dia. approx 2mm. Or try the fine nozzle tubing that comes with an Air Duster can. I have one in front of me and the inner dia is smaller (approx 1mm), and with a similar o/d of 3mm if required you will have the possibility to slim down the o/d with a very sharp craft knife. Worth a try.

PS: Just found a site that may have been the one referred to in post #1. Type 'Fixing the Apple Cinema Display' into YTube.

Last edited:
Reactions: AphoticD

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Pardon my ignorance, but what is this a fix for?

The power bricks on the LCD Apple Aluminum cinema displays have a flaw... somehow you have to tape or cover up the middle pin inside the brick to get it to work.
[doublepost=1531004659][/doublepost]
I've just had another thought on this. Try cutting a small length of plasic tubing from the end of a Bic ball-point pen refill and see if that slips confortably over the power cord connector middle pin(s). Believe the outer dia. of these pen refills are a nominal 3mm, with inner dia. approx 2mm. Or try the fine nozzle tubing that comes with an Air Duster can. I have one in front of me and the inner dia is smaller (approx 1mm), and with a similar o/d of 3mm if required you will have the possibility to slim down the o/d with a very sharp craft knife. Worth a try.

PS: Just found a site that may have been the one referred to in post #1. Type 'Fixing the Apple Cinema Display' into YTube.
WOW

Thank you so much. That's the original video I saw on this... and somewhere someone actually was selling pre made pieces...

I'm going to try this. You saved me a lot of frustration... thank you again!

Reactions: AphoticD

Litsnsirn

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2018
Wisconsin
Is the symptom that it just doesn't work?

My 30" display was flashing on and off and I was worried that it was something with the machine, I haven't had a chance to try it on anything else, as my DVI sources are limited.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
Is the symptom that it just doesn't work?

My 30" display was flashing on and off and I was worried that it was something with the machine, I haven't had a chance to try it on anything else, as my DVI sources are limited.

I can't answer for the thread starter 'California' as unsure of his exact symptoms. I guess however that they were associated with the LED blinking. YTube clip 'How to: Fix Short-Long-Short Apple Cinema HD Display' gives details.

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
The power bricks on the LCD Apple Aluminum cinema displays have a flaw... somehow you have to tape or cover up the middle pin inside the brick to get it to work.

From this blog post: http://pixelchimp.net/2011/12/18/apple-23-cinema-display-possible-fix-short-long-short-error/

It looks like the real problem is a voltage regulator on the display's board. He had tried disconnecting the pin and got the display work. Then he replaced the regulator and the display worked without the pin mod.

If this is true, I would replace the regulator since the excess voltage may cause a strain on other parts.

Last edited:

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
From this blog post: http://pixelchimp.net/2011/12/18/apple-23-cinema-display-possible-fix-short-long-short-error/

It looks like the real problem is a voltage regulator on the display's board. He had tried taping the pin and got the display work. Then he replaced the regulator and the display worked without the pin mod.

If this is true, I would replace the regulator since the excess voltage may cause a strain on other parts.

Wow, thank you. This explains how extremely HOT the power bricks get... My initial symptoms are sometimes the blinking on off lights but other times, just a black screen.

This information you posted seems correct. It may be related to the usb plug on the displays...? I always plug in the usb cord and the dvi to mini display port cords into my computer when starting up, but I do not plug in the displays firewire to FW800 adapter plug to the computer. I wonder if that would help regulate the voltage at all?

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
I always plug in the usb cord and the dvi to mini display port cords into my computer when starting up, but I do not plug in the displays firewire to FW800 adapter plug to the computer. I wonder if that would help regulate the voltage at all?

Not sure but I think that doesn't help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.