Apple 30" display - should I settle for an older one?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CaptainOlimar, Feb 16, 2011.

1. CaptainOlimar macrumors newbie

I just bought a 30" Cinema Display on eBay. It is sweet. But it's an older and dimmer one. At least I'm pretty sure. I really wanted the newer, brighter one, which I thought I was getting. Am I justified in complaining about this, or should I just settle for the one I got? Let me explain.

Apple released the 30" display in 2004 and discontinued it in 2010. "On March 28, 2006, Apple increased the quality of the display -- providing brightness of 400 cd/m2 and a 700:1 contrast ratio." Prior to that, they had a brightness of 270 cd/m2 and a 400:1 contrast ratio. That's about a 50% increase in brightness.

Since the older ones were made for about 21 months and the brighter ones were made for about 51 months, I assume most displays out there are the newer, brighter ones. The eBay listing I purchased had "400 cd/m2 brightness, 700:1 contrast" in the summary, implying the newer one, but I'm guessing that was just an honest mistake in copying and pasting without knowing there's a difference. I asked the seller if he got it in 2006 or earlier, and he thinks he bought it directly from Apple in 2007. However, it is noticeably dimmer than my MacBook Pro's display (not sure of exact brightness on that), and it is much, much dimmer than the 500 cd/m2 monitors it will be sitting between. This leads me to believe that it's 270 nits, not 400 nits. Perhaps most telling, though, is that the bottom of the monitor says "©2005" on it.

I think it's pretty safe to say that I got an old, dim one, right? I really wanted the brighter one to go with my other bright monitors. Technically, it was misrepresented in the listing. Is this a big enough issue to raise a stink about, or should I just shut up and settle for what I have? Don't get me wrong -- the monitor looks great. But if I'm going to drop a bunch of money on one of the best monitors out there, I think I deserve to get the one I want and expect.

A 50% increase in brightness is pretty significant. I probably wouldn't care or know any better if this was my only monitor, but since it's next to two bright monitors, it's a very obvious and unfortunate difference.

Thanks for your input. Sorry for the novel.

2. Transporteur macrumors 68030

3. dimme macrumors 65816

The last used monitor I bought on Ebay was listed as perfect. When I got it it was dim with discoloration on the edges. The fact is monitors dim over time. You could of gotten a newer on that was running 24/7, who knows.
    For me I will never buy a used monitor again.

4. CaptainOlimar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, Transporteur. I was looking for something like that. The serial number reveals that it was manufactured in May 2006, just after March 2006, so it should actually be a newer one. Adjusting the calibration helped a little, but it actually seemed to get significantly brighter after 20 minutes or so. I guess a screen that large just takes a while to warm up. So, it's not as dim after all. Everything else is great. Thanks for your input, guys.

5. maw4bc macrumors regular

curious how much this cost you? if you don't mind me asking

6. CaptainOlimar thread starter macrumors newbie

I usually see them going for $800-900. After the original winner failed to make payment, I was given a second-chance offer right at $800.

7. maw4bc macrumors regular

8. SatyMahajan macrumors regular

The CCFL backlight in the 30" ACD takes about 30 minutes to reach normal brightness.

9. Redneck1089 macrumors 65816

Redneck1089

This.

10. CaptainOlimar thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, the 30" is 1600 pixels tall instead of 1440 pixels. I've got it situated between a pair of monitors in portrait orientation that are thus 1920 pixels tall, so the more height, the merrier.

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

CCFL dims over time, but does anyone know if LED-backlit displays are affected?

12. Transporteur macrumors 68030

LEDs do dim as well, but to such a minimal extent that it is not worth talking about.