Apple 30" or UltraSharp 3008WFP 30" ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mctheriot, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mctheriot macrumors regular

mctheriot

I know the ACD is getting long in the tooth - but is there a good reason to go another route instead of the ACD?

I'd pickup a refurb unit so the pricing would actually be better.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mark

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

Have you considered a 27" iMac? It's considered one of the best displays available today, and you'd get a free machine you could use for... you know... whatever.

3. gotzero macrumors 68040

The 3008 has many more connection options, but I would just go with whatever is cheaper.

I would not get an iMac to use as a display even though it is cheaper than a 30" ACD on its own (which obviously shows that pricing has room to fall). The idea of having to boot up your monitor just seems wrong, and the iMac has to be fully running to use the display as an input.

4. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have a 30" ACD (there's a point in telling you that).

I would not recommend one at this time. The 30" ACD was last "updated" (if you can call it that) at least a year ago. There are no real rumors of any updates coming though it would be assumed they're closer now with the 27" iMacs dropping. Nevertheless, the 30" ACD is technically "outdated" and I can't really recommend anyone picking one up unless it's at a deep discount. I don't think the refurb pricing to be a huge enough discount to consider it unless that price is that of the Dell and you don't need the connections (I don't, my display is a computer monitor not an XBOX monitor).

When I bought mine it was one of the best panels and worth the money. Today I wouldn't buy one because there are other displays out there (Dell) that have been updated and not left to suffer. At this point the value for product is simply not there.

However, if you want the aluminum and such then you will have to buy the ACD and then I'd venture to guess you have more money than sense.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Truer words have not been said!
    I would definitely go for the Dell unless asethetics is THAT important to you.

7. kasakka macrumors 68000

I think the #1 reason to NOT get the ACD 30" is that it still uses Dual Link DVI. The Mini-Displayport to Dual Link DVI is known to be both poorly working and overpriced. The 3008WFP works with a Mini-DP -> Displayport adapter perfectly.

I don't think the 30" will be updated in a while. Might be even replaced by a 27" display for all I know. There haven't been much changes in 30" panels, for example the 3008WFP is now at least a year old, maybe more yet it still has the latest 30" panel.

If you already have a Mac, get the 3008WFP. If not, I'd seriously consider the iMac 27".

8. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I owned a 30" Cinema Display and sold it. I found 30" to be quite uncomfortable to work on, constantly having to move my head and such. I thought I was going to love it but I didn't. I'm using my old 23" Cinema Display right now and I think 1920x1200 resolution is the sweet spot. I really love this display.

9. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

As someone mentioned, I would consider the 27" iMac but if thats not your thing, the 3008 wins easily. Anyone buying the ACD is buying it for looks. It has no advantages over the 3008WFP.

10. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

It should be an absolute crime to recommend anything Dell or Dell-related on these forums. That's a company that Apple has tried so long to separate itself from, a company steeped in second rate hardware, the ultra-cloner of all PC vendors. Yuck.

11. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Say what you want, but they make a mean monitor.

12. Panzo macrumors 6502

13. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

In Fall of 2005, Dell sold their 2005FPW at a price of $499. I was able to snag it in one of their regular price drops for $379. Apple sold their 20" Cinema Display for $799.

Both monitors used the exact same LG Phillips LM201W01 20" S-IPS display with a different shell. And the Dell has DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite video inputs, was a 4-port USB hub, and was designed to be used in both widescreen and portrait configuration on the factory stand. The Apple didn't.

I bought the Dell 2005FPW. It was a decision I have absolutely no regrets about. 4 years on, I still use the 2005FPW. It's been a great display. I recommend Dell UltraSharp displays wholeheartedly.

What is a crime is what Apple has charged for so many years on what are essentially aesthetic differences to the exact same displays their competitors sell.

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I just got a Dell 3008FWP this week, and so far I love it.

I had wanted the Apple 30 ACD, since I have the 23" ACD and it's been great. However, I have a MBP with the mini displayport connector, so my only option for connection is Apple's mini displayport to dual-link DVI adapter. If you look around you'll see that adapter has horrible reviews and many, many complaints about it not working correctly. I was not about to order a 30" ACD and that adapter hoping it might work without issue.

The Dell, on the other hand, supports a displayport connection (and just about any other under the sun, including HDMI) so all that is required is a $5 mini to regular displayport cable or adapter from Monoprice (adapter is enough, since the displayport cable is included with the Dell). The Dell frequently goes on sale for $1399, which is what I got it for. That makes it $1 more expensive than a refurbished 30" ACD plus iffy adapter, and $299 cheaper than a new ACD with adapter.

As much as I dislike Dell and their craptastic laptops, this monitor really seems to have good quality. It also comes with a 3 year advance replacement warranty. Out of the box the colors were not very good (slight green cast), but after a couple of rounds of calibration with a Spyder 2 Express I am getting very good results. But my 23" ACD had to be calibrated as well. It came out of the box with an overly blue cast.

15. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

I have the same model :D
    I bought a 24" "mid-range" display last year, and it was quickly delegated to "second" monitor, since the colors were so much worse than the now almost five year old Dell :)