Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple announced on Wednesday its plans to invest $390 million in Finisar Corp, which supplies components for the vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSEL) found in the iPhone X TrueDepth camera.

The investment will be used to build a plant in Texas to make more of the chips, and will be financed by Apple's $1 billion Advanced Manufacturing Fund, which the company created earlier this year to foster innovation and create jobs in the U.S.

FNSR-Logo-800x154.jpg
"VCSELs power some of the most sophisticated technology we've ever developed and we're thrilled to partner with Finisar over the next several years to push the boundaries of VCSEL technology and the applications they enable," said Jeff Williams, Apple's chief operating officer. "Technology is only as good as the people behind it, and Finisar is a company with a long history of putting its employees first and supporting the community it's a part of. We're extremely proud that our involvement will help transform another American community into a manufacturing powerhouse."
According to Apple's statement, the award will enable Finisar to exponentially increase its R&D spending and high-volume production of VCSELs, which power some of the iPhone's X flagship features, such Face ID, Animoji and Portrait mode selfies, as well as the proximity-sensing capabilities of AirPods.
"We're excited to continue our innovation with Apple of a technology that has tremendous potential," said Jerry S. Rawls, CEO of Finisar. "When you combine our proven ability to consistently manufacture exceptional products with our new state-of-the-art Sherman facility, we're confident we can achieve our shared goal of providing consumers with incredibly exciting features. Finisar has always been keenly aware it takes great people to power our work and that's why we're thrilled to be adding Sherman to our family."
Several reports in the months running up to the launch of the iPhone X suggested Apple initially struggled to ensure the TrueDepth camera's components could be produced in large enough quantities to meet demand. The delicacy involved in producing the VCSEL lasers was said to be one of the reasons behind the supply constraints, so today's news should ensure future production can be ramped up more easily if and when required.

iphonextruedepthcamera-1-800x437.jpg

Apple is reportedly working on a new high-end 2018 iPad that will adopt many of the design elements from the revamped iPhone X, including built-in support for Face ID. The new tablet device, which is likely to be a "Pro" model, will reportedly do away with the Home button.

A rumor last month from Apple's supply chain has also suggested future iterations of the HomePod could come with 3D-sensing cameras to support Face ID. Meanwhile, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said Apple's Face ID technology is years ahead of similar facial recognition techniques from Android smartphone makers, and the company's rivals are struggling to catch up.

The first and only other time Apple has dipped into its Advanced Manufacturing Fund was in May, when it announced a $200 million investment in Corning, which manufactures the glass used in iPhones and other Apple products.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $390 Million in Finisar, US Maker of iPhone X TrueDepth Camera Lasers

Last edited:
Reactions: Avieshek

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
First sentence contains a typo: It should read $390 million (not billion). Whether it should also get a plural 's', I'm not 100% sure.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Reaction to someone "big" putting the fingerprint sensor under the display?

Well, after using FaceID, I really don't want to go back to TouchID anymore. It's just so fast and seamless. I just pick up my phone and start using it, instead of looking at the home button and putting my finger on. I know it doesn't take that much effort, but if you do it a hundred times a day, it does matter.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think we will see iPad's with Face ID (probably the iPad Pro) maybe even Mac's eventually, altho Apple have put Touch ID on the MacBook Pro's not long ago.

_themilkman

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
I have my macbook shut and connected to two screens at work - it renders touch ID useless and FaceID wouldn't be any better - hope that Apple does get back into the display market and adds FaceID to their monitors.

Philcox19842013

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013

Apple announced on Wednesday its plans to invest $390 million in Finisar Corp, which supplies components for the vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSEL) found in the iPhone X True Depth camera.

The investment will be used to build a plant in Texas to make more of the chips, and will be financed by Apple's $1 billion Advanced Manufacturing Fund, which the company created earlier this year to foster innovation and create jobs in the U.S.

FNSR-Logo-800x154.jpg
According to Apple's statement, the award will enable Finisar to exponentially increase its R&D spending and high-volume production of VCSELs, which power some of the iPhone's X flagship features, such Face ID, Animoji and Portrait mode selfies, as well as the proximity-sensing capabilities of AirPods.
Several reports in the months running up to the launch of the iPhone X suggested Apple initially struggled to ensure the TrueDepth camera's components could be produced in large enough quantities to meet demand. The delicacy involved in producing the VCSEL lasers was said to be one of the reasons behind the supply constraints, so today's news should ensure future production can be ramped up more easily if and when required.

iphonextruedepthcamera-1-800x437.jpg

Apple is reportedly working on a new high-end 2018 iPad that will adopt many of the design elements from the revamped iPhone X, including built-in support for Face ID. The new tablet device, which is likely to be a "Pro" model, will reportedly do away with the Home button.

A rumor last month from Apple's supply chain has also suggested future iterations of the HomePod could come with 3D-sensing cameras to support Face ID. Meanwhile, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said Apple's Face ID technology is years ahead of similar facial recognition techniques from Android smartphone makers, and the company's rivals are struggling to catch up.

The first and only other time Apple has dipped into its Advanced Manufacturing Fund was in May, when it announced a $200 million investment in Corning, which manufactures the glass used in iPhones and other Apple products.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $390 Million in Finisar, US Maker of iPhone X TrueDepth Camera Lasers
[doublepost=1513172326][/doublepost]Quick, sell your Finisar stock.....soon to be worth nothing....remember sapphire?

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Well, after using FaceID, I really don't want to go back to TouchID anymore. It's just so fast and seamless. I just pick up my phone and start using it, instead of looking at the home button and putting my finger on. I know it doesn't take that much effort, but if you do it a hundred times a day, it does matter.

Same here... Not only that, but I'm not missing the home button at all. That surprised me, first believing I would likely hate swiping to go home up and I'd have to compromise. Turns out, for me, swiping up is a much more fluid operation.

Apple nailed it.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Why? Go on, invest in China, Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan, Bangladesh..

Welcome to 2017. The tech world No longer revolves around the US. With the new direction of isolating the US businesses, the investments will excellerate to other countries. Shame but reality.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
[doublepost=1513172326][/doublepost]Quick, sell your Finisar stock.....soon to be worth nothing....remember sapphire?

I was thinking the same thing for the multitude of companies that Apple invested in, then developed in-house tech and just dumped. While great for the short term for this company, one would expect in a few years we will hear how they shut down.

But unlike sapphire that had technical issues, I am thinking more the graphics engines and similar type of companies.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Why? Go on, invest in China, Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan, Bangladesh..

It's not Apple's job to subsidize companies based on location if they can't compete in the market normally.
[doublepost=1513179849][/doublepost]

You mean that time that the sapphire manufacturer misled everyone including Apple about what they were capable of producing, and then got called on it? Yes, I remember. This is very obviously different, as they are already producing what they promised.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Are you serious? :eek:

Anyway, Apple intends to have a lot of lasers firing at us. Next up will be equipping the sharks!
I’m still not convinced there’s been enough safety testing on long-term use of VCSELs dozens (or hundreds) of times per day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.