Apple to Invest $390 Million in Finisar, US Maker of iPhone X TrueDepth Camera Lasers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced on Wednesday its plans to invest $390 million in Finisar Corp, which supplies components for the vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSEL) found in the iPhone X True Depth camera.

The investment will be used to build a plant in Texas to make more of the chips, and will be financed by Apple's $1 billion Advanced Manufacturing Fund, which the company created earlier this year to foster innovation and create jobs in the U.S.

[​IMG]
    According to Apple's statement, the award will enable Finisar to exponentially increase its R&D spending and high-volume production of VCSELs, which power some of the iPhone's X flagship features, such Face ID, Animoji and Portrait mode selfies, as well as the proximity-sensing capabilities of AirPods.
    Several reports in the months running up to the launch of the iPhone X suggested Apple initially struggled to ensure the TrueDepth camera's components could be produced in large enough quantities to meet demand. The delicacy involved in producing the VCSEL lasers was said to be one of the reasons behind the supply constraints, so today's news should ensure future production can be ramped up more easily if and when required.

[​IMG]

Apple is reportedly working on a new high-end 2018 iPad that will adopt many of the design elements from the revamped iPhone X, including built-in support for Face ID. The new tablet device, which is likely to be a "Pro" model, will reportedly do away with the Home button.

A rumor last month from Apple's supply chain has also suggested future iterations of the HomePod could come with 3D-sensing cameras to support Face ID. Meanwhile, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said Apple's Face ID technology is years ahead of similar facial recognition techniques from Android smartphone makers, and the company's rivals are struggling to catch up.

The first and only other time Apple has dipped into its Advanced Manufacturing Fund was in May, when it announced a $200 million investment in Corning, which manufactures the glass used in iPhones and other Apple products.

Article Link: Apple to Invest $390 Million in Finisar, US Maker of iPhone X TrueDepth Camera Lasers

2. manu chao macrumors 603

First sentence contains a typo: It should read $390 million (not billion). Whether it should also get a plural 's', I'm not 100% sure.

3. Aston441 macrumors 65816

Reaction to someone "big" putting the fingerprint sensor under the display?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nah, but it does indicate that Apple is all in on the FaceID technology

5. timmyh Contributing Editor

timmyh

Thank you. Corrected.

6. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

7. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Why? Go on, invest in China, Vietnam, Korea, Pakistan, Bangladesh..

8. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Supply chain should be more solid now. Plus we will see more devices carrying Face ID. Saying that I would love it to have it on my Mac aswell-just sitting down in front of it and start working...

9. Krayzkat Suspended

Well before this AMF was started they also invested ($100 million? more maybe) in some Gorilla glass competitor too, and that went 'tis up'.

10. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

Well, after using FaceID, I really don't want to go back to TouchID anymore. It's just so fast and seamless. I just pick up my phone and start using it, instead of looking at the home button and putting my finger on. I know it doesn't take that much effort, but if you do it a hundred times a day, it does matter.

11. djcerla macrumors 68000

djcerla

So much for Apple switching back to TouchID.

12. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Are you serious? :eek:

Anyway, Apple intends to have a lot of lasers firing at us. Next up will be equipping the sharks!

13. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think we will see iPad's with Face ID (probably the iPad Pro) maybe even Mac's eventually, altho Apple have put Touch ID on the MacBook Pro's not long ago.

14. _themilkman macrumors member

I have my macbook shut and connected to two screens at work - it renders touch ID useless and FaceID wouldn't be any better - hope that Apple does get back into the display market and adds FaceID to their monitors.

15. Philcox19842013 macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    Quick, sell your Finisar stock.....soon to be worth nothing....remember sapphire?

16. citysnaps macrumors 601

Same here... Not only that, but I'm not missing the home button at all. That surprised me, first believing I would likely hate swiping to go home up and I'd have to compromise. Turns out, for me, swiping up is a much more fluid operation.

Apple nailed it.

17. imran5720 macrumors regular

imran5720

18. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Welcome to 2017. The tech world No longer revolves around the US. With the new direction of isolating the US businesses, the investments will excellerate to other countries. Shame but reality.

19. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

20. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Gotta hand it to them, they chose what they think is the right solution and are sticking to it.

21. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

Ok. Maybe Touch ID is the new headphone jack.

22. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I was thinking the same thing for the multitude of companies that Apple invested in, then developed in-house tech and just dumped. While great for the short term for this company, one would expect in a few years we will hear how they shut down.

But unlike sapphire that had technical issues, I am thinking more the graphics engines and similar type of companies.

23. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

It's not Apple's job to subsidize companies based on location if they can't compete in the market normally.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 13, 2017 ---
    You mean that time that the sapphire manufacturer misled everyone including Apple about what they were capable of producing, and then got called on it? Yes, I remember. This is very obviously different, as they are already producing what they promised.

24. unobtainium macrumors 68020

I’m still not convinced there’s been enough safety testing on long-term use of VCSELs dozens (or hundreds) of times per day.

25. neutralguy macrumors 6502a

You beat me to it! Finisar's demise is written all over the wall now. Apple definitely sounds like an Alien mothership now!