Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is reportedly planning to expand its 2015 iPhone lineup to include a new 4-inch model, according to Asian sources [Google Translate] cited by G for Games. The smaller form factor would bring back the ease of one-hand usage that was lost when Apple introduced its larger iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus handsets. The supply chain sources suggest the new phone may debut in the second half 2015 with female users as the targeted audience for the smaller phone.

iphone_screen_sizes.jpg
Even without a new 4-inch model, Apple's history of product lineups suggests the 4-inch iPhone 5s would remain in the lineup in 2015 as the low-end offering once the current models slide down and the iPhone 5c is presumably discontinued. But if Apple wants to maintain a 4-inch option beyond the 2015 lineup, it would make sense to invest in an updated version of that size as the iPhone 5s ages.

Still, the sourcing on today's rumor is not entirely clear and a track record is unknown, so it is difficult to assess the potential validity of the claim. As a result, we would not put too much stock in it for the time being until or unless additional information surfaces in the coming months.

Even without a new 4-inch model this year, iPhone sales have been strong for the new 4.7-inch iPhone 6 and the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, with Apple setting a new sales record in the first weekend of availability. While the iPhone 6 is outselling the 6 Plus, the larger handset is holding its own in the phablet market, accounting for 41 percent of large-screened smartphone sales in the past three months.

Article Link: Sketchy Rumor Claims Apple Planning New 4-Inch iPhone for 2015

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I really don't see why they wouldn't. The 4" size did well for it's time. Anecdotally, I know many people that are still on their 4/4S because the current phones are too big.

There is still a market as long as Apple doesn't handicap it in some way.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
The "news" title is hilarious. Notwithstanding, I'm not sure I believe Apple will continue to produce a phone with a 4" screen. It would make sense though if they did and called it their budget phone.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Apple gave good reasons for going with the 3.5" and 4" sizes. Those still apply.

The multiple ways a mobile phone can be used are good reasons for the new sizes, but the physical size is more important to some than the screen size. Offer all 3 sizes.

sflomenb

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2011
I'm short and have small hands and I can use my 6 Plus fine one-handed with Reachability. Going back down to 4" would be a step backwards.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
aint happenin.

Hmm, well there's still a market for it considering the 5C. The end of production on that might indicate a 4" model that looks like the 6's.

Although the 5C sales weren't that big - not sure if that was because of the design or the fact people wanted a slightly better specs

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Yeah, keep all the different iPhone/iPad mini air plus pro sizes coming (even if this size already exists/existed), Apple, until finding and buying the right Apple product for you becomes as difficult, time-consuming and painful as buying from any other "normal" company... Apple should mabye re-read the chapter in the Steve Jobs biography describing how he radically tightened the confusing, unfocussed portfolio after coming back.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
This would actually be pretty interesting. Personally, I wouldn't do it. Just shrink the bezel on the 4.7 and you could easily have one hand use. My Moto X (1st Gen) is living proof.

cpg716

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
Apple Pay would be the real reason for this.. The only real reason.. Could still be the iPhone 5S but with Apple Pay.. (adding that NFC chip)..

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I hope this is true... Apple abandoned a lot of people who appreciated the smaller size of their devices. It would be nice if they continued to give them a solution - one that didn't rely on just saying "buy last year's phone" (or a year from now... buy a 2 year old phone).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting, there's been some chatter by a few members wanting a smaller phone. Perhaps there is more demand then I thought. Still, its only a rumor, we'll not know until we get closer to next fall.

ZombiPod

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013
I really hope this is true.

Now, please give it the same internals as the larger phones, make it thicker if need be.

– someone, who is still on a 4S, because in his eyes this was the perfect form factor.

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Lmaoo I'm sorry . Dumbest article in a while . They sell the 5s and probably will continue to sell the 5s .

Female user target audience ? Uhhh nah .

iPadCary

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
NEW YORK CITY
I'm short and have small hands and I can use my 6 Plus fine one-handed with Reachability.

Bah! To blazes with "Reachability"!
Y'know what'd serve the exact same purpose but is much more intuitive & sensible?
Horizontal/vertical scrolling SpringBoard® icons ....
At least have the option in SETTINGS for it, anyway, jeez Louise ....

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
A smaller phone would be a great option for many people, just as the giant one is for others.

When is the chin and forehead going to disappear? This is looking very old fashioned and wastes space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.