Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazzer15

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 8, 2010
I have the newest Roku 4k and don't really have any issue with it. I have been tempted to try an Apple TV for some time, but the price sort of put me off. I have the opportunity to buy a new 2017 Apple TV 4K (32GB) for $79. Is it worth it or would I be better off with the Roku (or spending the extra $ on the newest Apple TV)? FWIW, I would use it for streaming only... not games.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
$79? Seriously? At that price I would buy it no matter what and if you don't find it useful for you, give it as a gift to someone else.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The 2017 Apple TV 4K is very much still worth it. Especially at that price. I have the 2017 and didn't see a need to upgrade.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Is it worth it or would I be better off with the Roku (or spending the extra $ on the newest Apple TV)?
If you are happy with the Roku, I would just stick with that.

I personally think that the Apple TV and tvOS has the best UI of the streaming boxes, and even at 4 years old, the ATV4K1 with the A10X is still faster than the chips of the competition.

That said, once in the streaming apps, there really isn't any obvious difference between tvOS and the competition.

The ATV would probably be faster, but not worth it for the extra money if you are happy with your current Roku.

Right now, the Apple TV has potential but it is basically an overpowered, and overpriced steaming box.

FWIW, I would use it for streaming only... not games.
This is where the Apple TV would have an advantage, but even for games, there has been a mass exodus for tvOS gaming developers.

Many gaming developers are dropping support for tvOS, while continuing support and updating iOS and iPad OS version of apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.