Apple 4K HDR colors dull?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by hehe299792458, Sep 23, 2017.

1. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I have an LG OLED C7 television. I got the new Apple TV 4K today, and when I turned it on, I noticed that the colors are somewhat dull.

I know the third party apps haven't been updated to support HDR yet, but even on the first party home screen icons, I notice a difference.

Is this supposed to be the case? Are the Dolby Vision colors more accurate, and that I'm just not used to them?

Dolby Vision
    [​IMG]

4K HDR 60Hz
    [​IMG]

4K SDR 60 Hz
    [​IMG]

2. benboy12 macrumors regular

I noticed the same thing on the home screen. The icons seem a little dull and less vibrant than my last gen model. I have a Samsung 4K TV and am running the Apple TV in 4K HDR 60 Hz mode.

3. jaysue macrumors regular

jaysue

I noticed this a well, even with my picture mode set to the brightest it’s still dull, maybe cause HDR is always on, it would nice if it would just switch to HDR mode only when your playing that content.

4. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

so... any theories? HDR blu rays look great on my TV. Could it be the cable or something insignificant like that?

5. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I'm using my PS4 Pro HDMI cable, so I know it's capable of 4K HDR 60hz on my LG OLED C6P

Right away, it posting it, everything is darker on this Apple TV 4K compared to the older mode I was using.

And the fact that it is in HDR mode all the time makes adds extra processing. So for games, you need to switch to HDR game mode, which has a problem of being way too dim after a tv update from LG. Combined with the Apple device already being dim, it's like I'm wearing sunglasses.

I have to set it to HDR Bight to feel somewhat normal.

Overall, the experience is not that great and possibly going to be frustrating with switching modes all the time, 24hz mode for movies, etc.

Why can't it be just 4K SDR and switch to HDR for the appropriate content. Which is great so you can tell if the is loading correct.

6. chunter1001 macrumors member

I think it's because the C7 switches to Home Cinema preset when it detects Dolby Vision. I went in and increased color from 50 to 65, and boosted OLED to 90. Also, the color temperature for Dolby Vision seems to be warmer.

7. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

I switched to "Standard" mode on the C7 after switching over to HDR in Apple TV. I tried Vivid as well.

8. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

What's happening is that Apple TV is sending a 4K HDR signal to your TV for NON-HDR content. This is makes no sense, the entire Apple TV UI is not HDR so it will look dim and dull.

Manually switch back to 4K SDR and the colors will be correct for all the Non-HDR stuff. But in this case, actual HDR content will not be in HDR until you manually switch it back to 4K HDR LOL!

This is either a bug or the worst decision ever by some team at Apple.

9. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

I’m totally with you Ron21 - this is clearly because it is non HDR content and Apple foolishly tries to force it.

When compensating for it it will then mess up sources that are actually HDR both on Apple TV and if you switch through a receiver for all other sources as well.

10. piperatthegates macrumors newbie

piperatthegates

If your TV has HDMI UHD color mode or sometimes called HDMI color mode in it’s picture settings and you turn it on, there becomes no need to switch back and forth between SDR and HDR.

11. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Can you expand on that? What is that mode? You aren’t confusing it with deep colour are you which is simple an hdmi setting to enable HDR style content, or should I say more accurately to disable it as some devices cant handle the edid information.

12. piperatthegates macrumors newbie

piperatthegates

That’s possible.

I just know on my TV, in the expert picture settings there was an option to turn on HDMI UHD color mode and upon doing so it eliminated the need to do any switching back and forth. The default 4K HDR 60hz looked great across all formats.

13. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

So how do you switch between Dolby Vision and HDR? How do you switch between HDR and no HDR? How do you switch between 24Hz for movies and 50Hz for tv shows. Etc.

14. hehe299792458 thread starter macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Do you know for certain that the tvOS UI is done in SDR and not HDR? That’d be quite strange since the headline feature of the new Apple TV is 4K HDR

15. gravestmor macrumors newbie

Same here.
    LG OLED C7.
    Al the colours are very muddy.
    For non HDR videos as well as the interface.

16. priitv8 macrumors 68040

On the other hand, forcing the display into HDR mode just for UI display (let alone "old" SDR content) sounds really silly. Unless you really design you UI to have specular highlights that need to go over 100-nit luminance.

17. Ron21 macrumors 6502a

I don't know for certain, I'm basing the statement on how both Samsung and LG TVs are interrupting it. Others too probably, but I don't have them to test :)

For example, as soon you start the Aerial screensaver, colors/brightness are all correct and in 'HDR'. Exit back to the menu, everything becomes dim and dull.

This could be some type of bug but it's still strange the way it's implemented where you have to set it to either 4k/hdr or 4k/sdr. This should be automated.

18. piperatthegates macrumors newbie

piperatthegates

Assuming your TV supports Dolby Vision, you go to settings, then Video and Audio and under Video (apologies if titles of the menus are slightly off, I’m not in front of my Apple TV at the moment) then from there you can switch to all available formats your TV accepts such as Dolby Vision, HDR, SDR, and the different Hz rates

19. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 65816

Yes exactly, a stupid thing to have to ask of all members of my family to do for each programme they want to watch. May just about passable if I lived by myself in a bed sit bit definitely doesn’t pass the wife acceptance factor test. It is indefensible.