Apple 512GB SSD Thoughts and Comments

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by christophermdia, Nov 14, 2010.

1. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I have recently picked up via third party (ebay) an apple 512GB SSD (Toshiba). I was coming from a Momentus XT 500GB. Now I have read just about every article and thread when it comes to SSD's but there just isnt a ton out there on Apple's own. After reading all the articles I decided to go with the apple branded version more for price than anything else. I paid $1000 for it, where most of the other brands went from $1500-$1900 for a 480GB for the brands that most of you recommend (OWC, Vertex2, etc...). I will say that for me, no application is starting on more than 1 bounce, everything is lightning speed not only in comparison to the Momentus but in just general use. There are things that are pointless to take a stopwatch to because I wouldnt be able to click the button that fast to get a reading. Sure my read/write speeds are not as fast as the big boys, but as a semi-heavy user (I use a ton of aperture, final cut express, imovie, etc..) I dont feel like any further speed advantage would benefit me. Now if I was a heavy CS user or Final Cut Pro user, then maybe this could shave a minute or 2 off of your work in an average use.

Being that I keep all my pictures and videos on my comp for the most part, I needed a large drive and at this size price is a big factor. As for as the garbage collection/degradation deal, well I cant comment on that yet because I have quite a bit before this drive gets filled up, but in reading other reviews, dont believe this is too big an issue for this drive especially on a mac.

One other point...I am getting better battery life, albeit slightly (~30min more or so, less quick drain) and of course less heat. Fans with the Momentus never were below 2500 or so now its rare that the fan breaks 2000, been sitting steadily at roughly 1900.....

Hope this helps people trying to decide whether or not this drive is worth it. I am completely happy with it and happy I got it third party as I saved a few hundred $$ vs building to order. I may not be able to pull this under my applecare, so if thats a concern for you, then the extra $$ may be worth it.....

2. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Good to hear that you like it for that kind of money. There is always been a bad vibe for the apple SSDs but went with the 128 when i bought the computer just because it was a cheap option and i didn't need the little extra speed bump. I couldn't be happier with it and will never go back to a conventional drive again.

3. trigonometry macrumors 6502

trigonometry

I've heard Apple SSDs' aren't as fast other aftermarket brands but they are still twice as fast as a conventional HDD.

4. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I bought the Apple 256GB SSD because it wasn't a bad deal factory installed and the purchase with AppleCare is another advantage. I've experienced fantastic performance over a hard disk, so I'm more than pleased. I agree with the OP completely.