Apple 60W Charger Melts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by northy124, Feb 7, 2015.

1. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Hey all,

Each Apple charger I purchase seems to completely melt by a year, this has happened since I bought my MacBook in late 2011, Apple have consistently refused to replace the chargers forcing me to buy a new one each time but surely there's an issue somewhere if each ends up completely ruined?

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how to tackle this as I'm fed up with spending £65 a pop, it's ridiculous.

2. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Check for power surges in your house. That's one conclusion that's causing your melted chargers.

3. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

I've had one fail this week too.
    It didn't melt, just stopped working.

4. northy124 thread starter macrumors 68020

northy124

I would agree with that if I'd lived in the same house since 2011, I seriously think it's an issue with the MacBook as it always over heats when charging but it would be hard to prove.

5. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Been using Mac since 2008. Never ever had a single charger melt on me.

6. Nordichund macrumors 6502

If you believe it is an Apple problem and nothing you might have caused yourself, then I would go to the press with some pictures. This is the kind of fault and publicity no manufacturer wants.

When published, if there is any chance that Apple might be to blame then I bet it will not take long before Apple sends someone around to pick up the faulty appliance to test it.

On another note, if I have any piece of electrical equipment that I even suspect might overheat I immediately dispose of it, no matter the cost to me.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'd suggest that the OP buy a surge protector, and connect the charger to the surge protector (if not already doing so)...

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Maybe put it in a place with more ventilation, like on top of a desk?

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

10. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

What MBP are you charging?

Let's see pictures of these chargers - how are they melting and where?

Where is your MBP and charger when they are working, typically?

An easy way to prove it's the MBP is to use a power meter when it's plugged in and charging. If it's drawing more than 60W then you have a problem somewhere in the charger or the MBP.

I assume that all the replacements have been genuine Apple chargers from the Apple store, yes?

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Just because he hasn't knowingly caused it does not automatically mean it is Apple's issue either.

Likely to be a power problem external to the charger, so MBP or power supply, MBP would have been Apple's problem and that may be the best route IF OP can still demonstrate the history of failures goes back to within the original MBP warranty and site power can likely be ruled out by demonstrating the changes of address - of course that may need to be a significant move to remove power surge as a likely cause, different sub-station feed etc...