Apple 85W Chargers - Are they bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pngwyn, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Pngwyn macrumors regular

I'm wondering about the 85W Apple Charger. On the official Apple site they have a terrible rating of 2/5 stars after almost 700 reviews, first page being almost all 1/5 stars.

Are there better options than the Apple OEM chargers? There are a lot of reports of defects with them.. either them not working after a few months, or terrible fraying happening. Any input? Maybe the reviewers are being over-critical?

http://store.apple.com/us/reviews/MC556LL/B?rs=mostUseful

edit: just realized the 60w has terrible reviews too >.>

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I wouldnt trust any other company other than Apple for battery and charger...
    Yet, Im pretty sure MagSafe adapter is Apple licensed so others cant make it.
    (HyperMac was sued for producing MagSafes)

But I had them for really long time and have no problems with it.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Nobody is going to log on to the Apple store just to post a review about how the charger that came with their laptop worked great for many years. ;)

4. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

While that is true, that's also a bit too much of a generalization. Others post good reviews so they can tell themselves and others they were justified in purchasing said item. Gotta weed out both types of reviews ;)

5. theBostonian Suspended

My MagSafe has been fine this last year and a bit, my friend's has frayed after nearly two years of use.

Don't forget, if you use the GPU and CPU at max capacity for an extended length of time your MagSafe won't be able to provide enough energy.