Apple Abandoning AirTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ipedro, Nov 26, 2007.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Is Apple abandoning AirTunes? The new Airport Extreme doesn't have it and the Airport Express isn't being promoted. Leopard's new FrontRow 2.0 also doesn't have support for AirTunes.

I really enjoy AirTunes. I work with a MacBook Pro and being able to go around my apartment wirelessly playing music to my speaker system is very convenient ... not to mention, a cool party trick when I have people over.

2. e.m. macrumors 6502

I really hope they're not abandoning it, since I'm thinking about getting one for my new apartment, and if future iTunes versions didn't have this feature anymore, that'd suck.

As far as the new Extreme not having it, I don't think that's an indicator of anything, since the previous Extreme didn't have it either. Did Frontrow in Tiger support AirTunes? I'm not sure.

3. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

Im glad to see Im not the only one using airtunes as a party trick!!

I hope they not only keep Airtunes, but expand on the technology so that everything with audio can be streamed, like noises from you computer and streaming video. That would be great, then you would never ever have a reason to unplug speakers.

If they could figure this out, I would buy at least 2 or 3 more Aiport Expresses.

4. e.m. macrumors 6502

there's a third party app that does just that, can't remember what it's called. i bet you'll find it if you look up airport express or airtunes in macupdate or versiontracker.

5. saxman macrumors 6502

6. e.m. macrumors 6502

yeah, that's it. airfoil. i knew it was air something. thanks.

7. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    Geez, the last time I used my Mac as part of a "party trick" I had a Centris 650, a pair of MacRecorder sound digitizers, and the "Parrot" program.

Now am I showing my age, or what? :)

8. e.m. macrumors 6502

I am going to ask the same question that the OP asked. Do you guys think it's possible that Apple is going to abandon AirTunes in the near future?

I doubt it, but it could be a possibility I guess, especially now (well, it's been a while) that the :apple:TV is out and isn't selling like hotcakes; they might try to push that by phasing out airtunes... I really hope not. I have a Xbox for streaming movies from my Mac, and would rather not have to turn on the tv to listen to music; I have too much DRM'd files purchased from the iTunes store to stream music via Xbox anyways.

That's why airtunes is the perfect solution for me.
    Hmm. Should I buy now, or wait till January to see if they update (and hopefully not discontinue it)

9. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Wow the airfoil is pretty slow, it is impossible to watch movies with it because it doesn't stream according to the movie... :mad:

10. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

i think they are, we all know steve, and he definitely likes to make his share of a buck or two, i think apple, steve, wants to abandon airtunes and convince everyone to get the apple tv, even if its just for music... ;)

why would apple have you buy a product for $129, when they hope with a little loyalty and convincing, the consumer will shell out the $300 for the appletv, which obviously has a big markup...

here is to capitalism :(

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I've heard the Apple TV has low margins as its got expensive chips in it iSuppli think it costs $250 or so to make. Whereas the Airport Express is essentially a standard router with a couple more features so probably costs $40 or so to make.

12. kolax macrumors G3

I'm disappointed Apple have dropped Front Row support for AirTunes. But this is because Front Row no longer uses iTunes to play music. Uses a similar method to QuickLook.

AirFoil isn't worth the money - why should I have to pay for something that my Mac was able to do before I upgrade to Leopard?

13. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because it's not supported.

14. NDLaHam macrumors newbie

NDLaHam

I don't think they will abandon AirTunes. This is a huge selling point for their more "consumer" based routers. The AirPort Extreme is the more professional version, kind of like the MacBook Pro's, Mac Pro's, etc.

On the "Pro" version, they give you AirDisk and Printing, everything a pro users needs, music is just an added bonus you need to buy. To add the AirTunes functionality, you need to buy a separate AirPort Express..(More money for Apple).

It is either because they want to make more money so you buy both, or they want to have 2 products directed toward different people, or a combination of both. Plus you can still print with the AirPort Express and most average computer users don't need an AirDisk. Most don't even back up their files on to an external.

I think Apple has it figured out. They wouldn't drop that product unless they came out with a new one with the same features and more.

As for Front Row, I felt it was an added goody FrontRow 1.0 played using iTunes so you could just change the speakers to AirTunes. But ultimately they wanted FrontRow to be it's own application, independent of other applications. In doing so we lost a valuable feature. Hopefully they will notice this and add it into an update.

It would be ridiculous to make everyone buy AppleTV. I don't even have component inputs on my TV so I need AirPort for my music.

Only time will truly tell though.

ND

15. kolax macrumors G3

They took out a popular and useful feature.

It's stupidity on Apple's behalf for doing that.

16. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

The Airport Express with AirTunes is still being promoted on the site, and the AppleTV allows you to stream your library and control it through the AppleTV. As many people have their TV and audio systems integrated, this solution makes a lot of sense. For those who just want to stream audio, the Airport Express is more than sufficient.

From where I sit, Apple hasn't shown any inclination to get rid of AirTunes. Base stations never had it, and they have made streaming music available more than ever before. I got rid of all my CDs. I just stream ALAC files across the network to hear them wherever I desire. It's great and the music (some 1400 CDs) is totally accessible.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which is exactly what it says on their web site and in the user guide. Best for audio only.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Apple has allowed AirTunes to languish, that's for sure. I'm hoping they recognize the potential of the iPod Touch and AirTunes. I'd really like to stream my party mixes off the Touch instead of the PowerBook!

19. theguycalledtom macrumors newbie

I don't think you would even need to stream music from the iPod Touch, since it has limited disk space. It would be much better to be able to just wirelessly control the iTunes on your mac, with the same interface as ipod touch/iPhone's music player, kind of like wireless sharing between computers. Then you can use the iPod touch as an awesome visual remote for airTunes.

20. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

The program Remote Buddy does exactly that! I have it and it's awesome!!