Apple abandons 1st gen Airport Express.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ChrisA, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ChrisA macrumors G4

Looks like Apple's Airport Utility no longer supports my AirPort Express. At least when I click on the icon that looks just like the express I get a message saying it is not supported. I tried the older software (version 5.6 of airport unfitly) and it says it will not run on this version of Mac OS X.

Question. I'm only using this to connect to a stereo system to play iTunes Music. What non-Apple device can do this. I'm not going to buy another Apple router

Is there a good economical way to do a wireless connection to an audio-only stereo amplifier?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

new express cabled to the stereo (cost around $100)
    new stereo with airplay built in (cost can easily be $500 or more)

My Marantz doe does airplay and has ethernet. I use an express to give it internet access for upgrading firmware and streaming music. I can stream my 400+ CD collection towards it. That is great for music at parties.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Looks like the old 802.11g Airports are not supported, the current utility description says "set up and manage your Wi-Fi network and 802.11n AirPort base stations". You could get a refurb 802.11n Express for $69. I use one of these as an AirPort receiver. I know you're looking for a non-Apple way to do it but the cost skyrockets.

If you're running it wirelessly it's a good idea to get rid of G devices anyway, if you can limit your 2.4GHz network to only N devices you'll get better wireless performance overall than you will with a mix of G and N.

4. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

This is why I hate the Apple networking devices.

No HTTP configuration.

:(

I still have some, but I hate that.

5. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

The only economical way to do it is to use an Airport Express. Other options would be to replace your stero with one that is Airplay capable or supplement your system with a set of Airplay capable speakers; neither of which are economical. For the price and flexibility of the AE, you can't really go wrong. I use two of the prev gen in the house for streaming, and they're so cheap (all 3 were used or refurb) I bought a spare because I prefer it over the new form factor.

6. smellalot macrumors 6502

OK, I'll go ahead and try to give you some actual help here.
    It is possible to get Airport Utility 5.6 running in ML. There is a thread in this forum, but I can't find it right now. Maybe try whats described here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4141324?start=30&tstart=0
    Or google it yourself.

By the way: what kind of people suggest to throw out a perfectly good peace of technology after it's being abandoned by the manufacturer and then go back and buy the next revision of said product from the same company??

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

What Mac OS X version are you using? Airport Utility 5.6 runs fine on my rMBP.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Follow this guide to install the old version of Airport Utility on your machine and it will run fine.

----------

It does run if you already have it installed, but the problem is if you don't already have it and try to install, the installer will stop you.

10. crisg macrumors member

TIL Apple was still supporting 9 year old hardware until recently...

11. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Use Pacifist or something to "install" it manually.