Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Accepting Red Cross Donations to Aid British Columbia Wildfire Relief Efforts

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is accepting donations to the Canadian Red Cross through iTunes to help people affected by ongoing wildfires in British Columbia. The province declared a state of emergency in July.

iTunes users in Canada can donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200 with a credit card tied to their account. Apple will transfer 100 percent of the proceeds to the Canadian Red Cross, which is providing relief efforts for the wildfires.

As of August 6, the BC Wildfire Service said 132 wildfires were currently burning in the province, with a total of 900 wildfires since April 1. As of August 9, over 3,600 personnel were working to fight the fires, which have forced some residents to evacuate due to dangerous conditions, including poor air quality.

Apple says iTunes credit cannot be used to make a donation. The fine print also says donations may not qualify for a tax deduction.

Apple routinely accepts Red Cross donations through iTunes for natural crises, including wildfires in Fort McMurray, Alberta last year.

Via: iPhone in Canada

Article Link: Apple Accepting Red Cross Donations to Aid British Columbia Wildfire Relief Efforts

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Donate directly to a non-profit in the area. Red Cross notoriously squanders money. Look into their wastes in Haiti and New Orleans. Millions of dollars that went nowhere. I wish Apple would stop featuring them.

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Chrystal Ocean

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Wasn't aware of this occurring in British Columbia. Will be donating.
Donate to the Red Cross or directly to BC charities. Whichever you choose, British Columbians like myself really appreciate the support. Thank you!

P.S. The BC Government also supports having donations sent to the Red Cross and includes a link to them for donations. Here's the July 14th article on the government website:
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0200-001311

Comment

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Stop donating money to the Red Cross. Apple really needs to stop this partnership. Red Cross is corrupt and wastes millions of dollars each year. Less than 90 cents of a dollar actually go directly to those in need. Anything less than 90 cents is typically seen a poorly run charity that likely has 6 and 7 figure executives running it.

Comment

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Stop donating money to the Red Cross. Apple really needs to stop this partnership. Red Cross is corrupt and wastes millions of dollars each year. Less than 90 cents of a dollar actually go directly to those in need. Anything less than 90 cents is typically seen a poorly run charity that likely has 6 and 7 figure executives running it.
I agree. I recall my Dad, who was a medic in the Korean War, telling me how bad the Red Cross was. As an example: He was on a ship during the war, and the Red Cross was charging the GIs for a cup of hot coffee!! Find a local BC charity instead, so your donation goes to those in need.

Comment

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Yeah I agree these "non-profit" organisations are so huge now that it's not worth donating to them anymore since a lot of the money is going straight into management and such.

Comment

CaliKev

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Wow, I had no idea until I googled how much the CEO makes. Over $650,000! Jeez, hopefully Apple finds a better partner when it comes to these sorts of donation efforts. Also, why can only Canadians donate? Victims in Haiti, Japan and other countries were able to receive support from people from around the world. Why is Canada any different?

Comment

luvbug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2017
Getting closer every day!
Yeah I agree these "non-profit" organisations are so huge now that it's not worth donating to them anymore since a lot of the money is going straight into management and such.
There are two large charities that *do* use their donations very effectively: the Salvation Army and The Carter Foundation (Habitat for Humanity, etc).

Comment

Madchad

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
I’m in kamloops which is really close to the fires. Our city only has about 90k people and at one point in July it had 14k evacuees here , most are gone now but a few thousand remain. The worst part for us is that our city is in two valleys and all the smoke settles here. There was a day last week when our air quality was 49 on a scale of 10 with 10 being awful. It hurt your eyes to be outside. Basically we’ve been living in smoke for about 5 weeks.

If you want avoid giving money to the scummy Red Cross , you could always do something like an animal charity. At one point there was a makeshift animal shelter set up with 800 animals at it that belonged to evacuees.
http://www.cdart.org/

http://spca.bc.ca/

Attachments

• 5C662FAE-4418-4024-B78B-79E3A73D623D.jpeg
    5C662FAE-4418-4024-B78B-79E3A73D623D.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 115
Comment

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010

This is completely wrong...

https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-sector-network/2013/may/02/good-charities-admin-costs-research

It compared 265 charities from 2008 to 2011 and found that in 2011 recommended charities spent an average of 11.5% of their costs on administration. However charities that Givewell didn't feel confident to recommend spent less on their overheads, with an average of only 10.8% of their costs going towards administration.

In any case 90 cents is better than the zero cents charities get when these threads instantly turn cynical and deflect potential donors from a one-click no-brainier donation, towards some other thing that probably nobody will ever get around to doing.

Comment

jev425

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Seattle, WA
If you can, definitely donate to a local charity! Living in Washington state I know how bad this can be. We've had some smoke from these fires.

Attachments

• IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2727.jpg
    IMG_2727.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 89
Comment

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Wow, that is so not true. While I haven't checked up on Red Cross in particular, the myth behind trying to find percentages that go "directly to those in need"(aka low overhead) has to be stopped.
http://freakonomics.com/2012/12/28/an-economists-guide-to-year-end-charitable-giving/

Reactions: mw360
Comment

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Kudos to Apple for going to aid Canada before the US, where there are multiple states of emergency due to forest fires as well.

And of course, the cherry on top is that they're partnering with the bloated hog that is the Red Cross. Such humanitarianism from Apple. :rolleyes:

Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Washington State has been smoked over by the BC fires for 2 weeks. And yes, Red Cross is worthless.

Likewise, Vancouver Island has been smoked out by the Washington state fires for the past two weeks.

Thankfully, the wind changed as of Friday, and rain has started. Skis are clear again here on the south Island.

Comment

2b1ask1

Suspended
Jul 5, 2016
Agreed 100%:

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/16/48202...fundamental-concerns-about-red-cross-finances

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article23061570.html

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.