Apple Accepting Red Cross Donations to Aid British Columbia Wildfire Relief Efforts

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 11, 2017 at 1:17 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is accepting donations to the Canadian Red Cross through iTunes to help people affected by ongoing wildfires in British Columbia. The province declared a state of emergency in July.

[​IMG]

iTunes users in Canada can donate $5, $10, $25, $50, $100, or $200 with a credit card tied to their account. Apple will transfer 100 percent of the proceeds to the Canadian Red Cross, which is providing relief efforts for the wildfires.

As of August 6, the BC Wildfire Service said 132 wildfires were currently burning in the province, with a total of 900 wildfires since April 1. As of August 9, over 3,600 personnel were working to fight the fires, which have forced some residents to evacuate due to dangerous conditions, including poor air quality.

Apple says iTunes credit cannot be used to make a donation. The fine print also says donations may not qualify for a tax deduction.

Apple routinely accepts Red Cross donations through iTunes for natural crises, including wildfires in Fort McMurray, Alberta last year.

Via: iPhone in Canada

Article Link: Apple Accepting Red Cross Donations to Aid British Columbia Wildfire Relief Efforts

2. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

Wasn't aware of this occurring in British Columbia. Will be donating.

3. adamjackson macrumors 6502a

Donate directly to a non-profit in the area. Red Cross notoriously squanders money. Look into their wastes in Haiti and New Orleans. Millions of dollars that went nowhere. I wish Apple would stop featuring them.

4. Relentless Power macrumors G4

Relentless Power

I wasn't aware of this. Thanks for letting me know.

5. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

Damn you smokey the bear. He must have been laid off.

6. Chrystal Ocean macrumors member

Donate to the Red Cross or directly to BC charities. Whichever you choose, British Columbians like myself really appreciate the support. Thank you!

P.S. The BC Government also supports having donations sent to the Red Cross and includes a link to them for donations. Here's the July 14th article on the government website:
    https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017TRAN0200-001311

7. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Stop donating money to the Red Cross. Apple really needs to stop this partnership. Red Cross is corrupt and wastes millions of dollars each year. Less than 90 cents of a dollar actually go directly to those in need. Anything less than 90 cents is typically seen a poorly run charity that likely has 6 and 7 figure executives running it.

8. luvbug macrumors newbie

I agree. I recall my Dad, who was a medic in the Korean War, telling me how bad the Red Cross was. As an example: He was on a ship during the war, and the Red Cross was charging the GIs for a cup of hot coffee!! Find a local BC charity instead, so your donation goes to those in need.

9. garirry macrumors 65816

garirry

Yeah I agree these "non-profit" organisations are so huge now that it's not worth donating to them anymore since a lot of the money is going straight into management and such.

10. CaliKev macrumors member

CaliKev

Wow, I had no idea until I googled how much the CEO makes. Over $650,000! Jeez, hopefully Apple finds a better partner when it comes to these sorts of donation efforts. Also, why can only Canadians donate? Victims in Haiti, Japan and other countries were able to receive support from people from around the world. Why is Canada any different?

11. luvbug macrumors newbie

There are two large charities that *do* use their donations very effectively: the Salvation Army and The Carter Foundation (Habitat for Humanity, etc).

12. dominiongamma macrumors 6502a

dominiongamma

Agree this criminal organization is money going directly to the top.

13. Madchad macrumors newbie

I’m in kamloops which is really close to the fires. Our city only has about 90k people and at one point in July it had 14k evacuees here , most are gone now but a few thousand remain. The worst part for us is that our city is in two valleys and all the smoke settles here. There was a day last week when our air quality was 49 on a scale of 10 with 10 being awful. It hurt your eyes to be outside. Basically we’ve been living in smoke for about 5 weeks.

If you want avoid giving money to the scummy Red Cross , you could always do something like an animal charity. At one point there was a makeshift animal shelter set up with 800 animals at it that belonged to evacuees.
    http://www.cdart.org/

http://spca.bc.ca/

Attached Files:

14. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

This is completely wrong...

https://www.theguardian.com/voluntary-sector-network/2013/may/02/good-charities-admin-costs-research

It compared 265 charities from 2008 to 2011 and found that in 2011 recommended charities spent an average of 11.5% of their costs on administration. However charities that Givewell didn't feel confident to recommend spent less on their overheads, with an average of only 10.8% of their costs going towards administration.

In any case 90 cents is better than the zero cents charities get when these threads instantly turn cynical and deflect potential donors from a one-click no-brainier donation, towards some other thing that probably nobody will ever get around to doing.

15. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

Is Apple - a company with $262 billion sitting in off shore accounts matching the donations? If they want to match donations maybe they could soak their cash in water and drop it on the fires.

16. lederermc macrumors regular

lederermc

Washington State has been smoked over by the BC fires for 2 weeks. And yes, Red Cross is worthless.

17. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

If you can, definitely donate to a local charity! Living in Washington state I know how bad this can be. We've had some smoke from these fires.

Attached Files:

18. Nimrad macrumors 6502

Wow, that is so not true. While I haven't checked up on Red Cross in particular, the myth behind trying to find percentages that go "directly to those in need"(aka low overhead) has to be stopped.
    http://freakonomics.com/2012/12/28/an-economists-guide-to-year-end-charitable-giving/

19. ILikeAllOS macrumors 6502

ILikeAllOS

It's actually just Smokey Bear.
    You've been affected by the Mandela Effect! :p

20. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

Noooooo..... lol

21. atlas_0 macrumors member

atlas_0

Kudos to Apple for going to aid Canada before the US, where there are multiple states of emergency due to forest fires as well.

And of course, the cherry on top is that they're partnering with the bloated hog that is the Red Cross. Such humanitarianism from Apple. :rolleyes:

22. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Rain is on its way.... thankfully! Got a bit last night on the Island.

23. coolfactor macrumors 68040

Likewise, Vancouver Island has been smoked out by the Washington state fires for the past two weeks.

Thankfully, the wind changed as of Friday, and rain has started. Skis are clear again here on the south Island.

24. 2b1ask1 macrumors newbie

Agreed 100%:

http://www.npr.org/2016/06/16/48202...fundamental-concerns-about-red-cross-finances

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/haiti/article23061570.html

25. HoserHead macrumors member

HoserHead