Apple Accidentally Unpatches Vulnerability, Leading to New iOS 12.4 Jailbreak

seek3r

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
That's cool and everything, but Apple pretty much added every feature I would've wanted for a jailbreak like 5 years ago.

I guess access to the file system is a big reason. Being able to manage downloads and torrents easier (no, not for pirating :rolleyes:)
Jailbreaking use to be essential for me but these days I just can't think of any good reasons to do it.
I don’t understand why people still jailbreak. Like, what else do you want?! So needy.
They’ve certainly addressed almost everything most people jailbroke for. The big one left I can think of would be tethering without a plan that allows it. I have an unlimited data plan with tethering included, so it’s not something I’ve need of, but I’m sure there are people doing that

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Excellent news! Time to jailbreak! Mostly jailbreak is for power users who want more for their iPhone.

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
Time to jailbreak. It's been years since a jailbreak for latest signed firmware. I can also use Apple Card!

iLuzionsX

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2019
Honest question... do people still really jailbreak like that? Like, how big is the jailbreak community now?
Im not sure of how big the community is; but the tweaks that are out are more creative and unique than ever imo.
[doublepost=1566243401][/doublepost]
I don’t understand why people still jailbreak. Like, what else do you want?! So needy.
pffftt....

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
The main reason I can think of jailbreaking is to use my iphone as a carplay console on my motorcycle.

Shirasaki

macrumors G3
May 16, 2015
This doesn’t mean the teams don’t communicate or are even different teams.

Stop oversimplifying. You don’t know.
Apple store staff told me pretty much the same thing. So yeah. The disconnected nature of Apple team exist, and one can feel it when asking for help.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
This is so elementary that Apple should fire the QA engineer responsible. There are zero excuses for this disaster. If you don’t write software for a living then you may not understand why. If you do but don’t understand why then you should resign immediately.

halluxsinister

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2017
Earth

Apple in iOS 12.4 mistakenly unpatched a vulnerability that was fixed in the iOS 12.3 update, leading to a new jailbreak available for iOS 12.4 devices, reports Motherboard.

Hackers discovered the vulnerability over the weekend and Pwn20wnd created a publicly available, free jailbreak that works on devices running the latest version of iOS or any version of iOS below iOS 12.3.

Most jailbreak code is kept private to keep Apple from patching it, so this is the first time that a public jailbreak has been available in a while. It was apparently discovered when a user tested an older jailbreak on iOS 12.4 and found the patch had been reverted.

Security researcher Jonathan Levin told Motherboard that the accidental vulnerability also once again makes iPhone users vulnerable to a "100+ day exploit," referring to how long the bug has been around.

Ned Williamson from Google Project Zero said that the bug could be exploited to install spyware on a target iPhone.A third security researcher, Stefan Esser said that people should be careful what apps they download from the App Store right now. "Any such app could have a copy of the jailbreak in it," he wrote on Twitter.

Multiple users have confirmed that the jailbreak works and that their devices have been jailbroken using the new software. Apple has not commented on how or why the vulnerability was unpatched, but the company will likely have a fix available soon.

Article Link: Apple Accidentally Unpatches Vulnerability, Leading to New iOS 12.4 Jailbreak
Easy solution. Take iOS 12.3, re-name it 12.4.1, and release it immediately. If there was anything CRITICAL in 12.4 that fixed something broken in 12.3, then it might take more than a few seconds to fix, but... for now, it sounds like you’re safer and better-off running 12.3 than 12.4.

AnsonX10

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
4/20
This is not a frightening security flaw, but rather a wondrous blessing for the jailbreak community, and other fans of FOSS.

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
Apple store staff told me pretty much the same thing. So yeah. The disconnected nature of Apple team exist, and one can feel it when asking for help.
The Apple store employees literally know nothing about the software development teams.

Macintoshrumors

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Honest question... do people still really jailbreak like that? Like, how big is the jailbreak community now?
I know right. This is still exist?

I used to be heavy into the scene from day one back with the original iphone. Overtime apple realized it couldnt beat the jailbreaking guys so they started ro implement many of the jailbreaking features into ios. Most of what we have now comes from old apps made by the community. I stopped jailbreaking when apple started to do this as i didnt see a point to anymore. Not gonna lie, those were some good times

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
Where's that guy who bellyached that he accidentally updated to iOS 12. Nows his chance.