Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
I sprinted through to place an order on launch day as soon as the event wrapped up. I forgot to use the Educational Store when I placed the order so I placed another one with less than $200 discount using the same exact gift card balances I had accumulated through various promotions Apple ran at Best Buy and Target (the buy a $100 Apple gift card get a $10 gift card from the retailer, essentially making it 10% off).

The first order I placed for the full retail price went through about 10 minutes later that says "we have everything necessary to process your order" and also showed an option to cancel. I cancelled that one. But about 30 minutes later when I attempted to update an app on my iPhone, there was an error message that says your Apple ID has been disabled in the App Store / iTunes Store. So I called Apple Support and was transferred to a tier 2 senior advisor who reviewed my account and said it should never have been disabled. She re-enabled my account also disclosed to me that the reason that got my account disabled was "malicious use of gift cards". I also noticed that the second order I placed never progressed to the "processed" step like the first one where a cancel button would show up. I asked that Senior Advisor if I would need to cancel and re-place the order since that order caused my account to be disabled and was never processed. She wasn't sure about that and transferred me to Apple's sales department. A sales rep checked the order and said it was being processed as normal.

Then about 30 minutes later, I noticed my Apple account got disabled again. I called in again and was told that it was "closed". I was asked to send in all proof of purchase, front and back of the gift cards I purchased as well as activation slips. Keep in mind, those are all e-gift cards as the recent Apple gift cards sale at Target are only online.

I emailed Tim Cook about this whole situation and received a call back the following day from someone at Apple's Executive Relations. I had never contacted Apple executive team before even though I had multiple failures on my Macbooks before resulting in repeated repairs, sometimes it was even worse when I received my devices back to name a few issues. Then there was repeated reboots every few minutes on an iPhone 6 I had years ago that MacRumors speculated that it's a memory card used in that model that's prone to failure. I tolerated it for a year and never escalated to the executive level.

The Executive Relations person was patient on the phone. I explained to him in details of what happened and how I would primarily want my decade old Apple account restored as there're hundreds of digital purchases tied to it as well as iCloud storage I share with my family. I also told him that I've owned every premium line iPhone since iPhone 5 as well as multiple Macs, AirPods / Apple TVs and even a Hermes Apple Watch Series 0. Not to mention the purchases I made for my parents and got them all locked into Apple's ecosystem. It's not right how they treat a loyal customer like a criminal. I simply planned ahead and purchased some Apple gift cards within the quantity limit each time there was a sale. (Usually it's up to 3 per customer. I didn't go around it by creating multiple Target or Best Buy accounts.) The way they handled my account is like a blanket ban. If the actual fraud department spent any time reviewing my account history of all the purchases I've made (Tier 2 support did and re-enabled it), they wouldn't have closed it. There has never been any chargeback or delinquent payments as I always purchase for full price or finance through carriers.

He said he was going to resolve this but needed to reach out to his peers in other departments. I have seen our conversation sent in more roof of purchases to him. But it's been 3 days now and my Apple ID is still locked. I'm glad that I already got my iPhone 13 Pro. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to restore any apps to a new device without having my Apple ID back.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? How did you all get our Apple account restored?

Update: Executive Relations was able to reach out internally and had my account re-enabled. My Macbook Pro order was also shipped over the weekend while the ER was out of office and my account was still locked. Everything is good now.

Last edited:
Reactions: madisonm

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
I sprinted through to placed an order on launch day as soon as the event wrapped up. I forgot to use the Educational Store when I placed the order so I placed another one with less than $200 discount using the same exact gift card balances I had accumulated through various promotions Apple ran at Best Buy and Target (the buy a $100 Apple gift card get a $10 gift card from the retailer, essentially making it 10% off).

The first order I placed for the full retail price went through about 10 minutes later that says "we have everything necessary to process your order" and also showed an option to cancel. I cancelled that one. But about 30 minutes later when I attempted to update an app on my iPhone, there was an error message that says your Apple ID has been disabled in the App Store / iTunes Store. So I called Apple Support and was transferred to a tier 2 senior advisor who reviewed my account and said it should never have been disabled. She also disclosed to me that the reason that got my account disabled was "malicious use of gift cards". I also noticed that the second order I placed never progressed to the "processed" step like the first one where a cancel button would show up. I asked that Senior Advisor if I would need to cancel and re-place the order since that order caused my account to be disabled and was never processed. She wasn't sure about that and transferred me to Apple's sales department. A sales rep checked the order and said it was being processed as normal.

Then about 30 minutes later, I noticed my Apple account got disabled again. I called in again and was told that it was "closed". I was asked to send in all proof of purchase, front and back of the gift cards I purchased as well as activation slips. Keep in mind, those are all e-gift cards as the recent Apple gift cards sale at Target are only online.

I emailed Tim Cook about this whole situation and received a call back the following day from someone at Apple's Executive Relations. I had never contacted Apple executive team before even though I had multiple failures on my Macbooks before resulting in repeated repairs, sometimes it was even worse when I received my devices back to name a few issues. Then there was repeated reboots every few minutes on an iPhone 6 I had years ago that MacRumors speculated that it's a memory card used in that model that's prone to failure. I tolerated it for a year and never escalated to the executive level.

The Executive Relations person was patient on the phone. I explained to him in details of what happened and how I would primarily want my decade old Apple account restored as there're hundreds of digital purchases tied to it as well as iCloud storage I share with my family. I also told him that I've owned every premium line iPhone since iPhone 5 as well as multiple Macs, AirPods / Apple TVs and even a Hermes Apple Watch Series 0. Not to mention the purchases I made for my parents and got them all locked into Apple's ecosystem. It's not right how they treat a loyal customer like a criminal. I simply planned ahead and purchased some Apple gift cards within the quantity limit each time there was a sale. (Usually it's up to 3 per customer. I didn't go around it by creating multiple Target or Best Buy accounts.) The way they handled my account is like a blanket ban. If they spent any time review my account history of all the purchases I've made, they wouldn't have closed it. There has never been any chargeback or delinquent payments as I always purchase for full price or finance through carriers.

He said he was going to resolve this but needed to reach out to his peers in other departments. But it's been 3 days now and my Apple ID is still locked. I'm glad that I already got my iPhone 13 Pro. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to restore any apps to a new device without having my Apple ID back.

Does anyone have any similar experiences? How did you all get our Apple account restored?
no.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
They never sold a Hermes version of the original Apple Watch. You mean a gold Apple Watch Edition? If so, they must love you for wasting all your money on that thing.
There really isn’t. I’ve really never had any issues with my Apple account. The only time I was in touch with customer relations (not executive relations) was this past February when I shipped my MacBook Pro back for repair and the overnight shipment got stuck at FedEx’s Memphis hub for over 20 days. We thought it was lost in transit but it started moving again and got delivered.

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
All I can say is that I cringe at the thought of being at the mercy of an accusatory computer algorithm... "sorry sir, the computer says it thinks you're a criminal based on an analysis of your activity, so there's nothing I can do for you."
Ehh sounds like this is normal automated antifraud measures at play here. Tons of fraud through gift cards so most companies have aggressive protocols in place.

Reactions: DoctorApple

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Sounds like they flagged you as trying to commit fraud using the gift cards multiple times, sucks but they will resolve it, just a hassle.

Reactions: DoctorApple

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
They never sold a Hermes version of the original Apple Watch. You mean a gold Apple Watch Edition? If so, they must love you for wasting all your money on that thing.
Hermes Edition was available from Series 0. I purchased it myself and wore it for 3 years.

Reactions: CheesePuff

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Did you try to use the same gift cards in the 1st and 2nd order? If so, then you got flagged most likely by the algo’s.

In my experience with Apple accounts, it is quite painful to get it restored as they are very strict following the protocols, even if you got all the proof in the world.

Reactions: Codpeace

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have not had any experiences like this Thank God. But it sounds really messed up. If an email to the boss hasn't resolved it yet, then if it was me personally, I would start looking to move on. And by that I mean Android and Microsoft

I wish I had some ideas, but I would think an email to the boss would be the best you could do.

Reactions: Codpeace

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
Did you try to use the same gift cards in the 1st and 2nd order? If so, then you got flagged most likely by the algo’s.
This was how I read the story and, if that is accurate, this is likely to be what happened. I think.

I have not had any experiences like this Thank God. But it sounds really messed up. If an email to the boss hasn't resolved it yet, then if it was me personally, I would start looking to move on. And by that I mean Android and Microsoft

I wish I had some ideas, but I would think an email to the boss would be the best you could do.
There is wisdom in this, particularly in the idea of start getting your brain and heart prepared for a possible response of "sorry, what's done is done."

But I also think that persistence can be your friend, even at the executive level. Keep calling, write snail mail letters that you send certified to TC's personal attention. Keep at it if you must. Be scrupulously professional and not in any way histrionic.

That is what I would do in your shoes, anyway. Good luck.

Reactions: Nightfury326

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

In my experience with Apple accounts, it is quite painful to get it restored as they are very strict following the protocols, even if you got all the proof in the world.

But if he canceled the first order, then the system should have recognized that the gift cards weren’t actually redeemed. I’ve been indecisive on launch day and have canceled orders and placed new orders, most recently with the Apple Watch Series 7. I guess I’m fortunate I didn’t cancel an order where I used a gift card.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017

I did. I wanted to use my gift card balance for the new Mac. There’s no point if I placed a second order without using the gift cards.

I should add that an order is not immediately cancellable until it’s processed (which I guess that’s when Apple’s security checks for payment and fraud). So I wasn’t able to cancel the first order in time to place a second order.

It’s so messed up as the first order actually went through with gift card balances, albeit without education discounts.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
But if he canceled the first order, then the system should have recognized that the gift cards weren’t actually redeemed. I’ve been indecisive on launch day and have canceled orders and placed new orders, most recently with the Apple Watch Series 7. I guess I’m fortunate I didn’t cancel an order where I used a gift card.
Apple is like Amazon where they don’t charge you at the time an order is placed. I have a pending order for an AW7, and they still haven’t deducted anything from my gift cards yet.

DoctorApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2017
This was how I read the story and, if that is accurate, this is likely to be what happened. I think.

There is wisdom in this, particularly in the idea of start getting your brain and heart prepared for a possible response of "sorry, what's done is done."

But I also think that persistence can be your friend, even at the executive level. Keep calling, write snail mail letters that you send certified to TC's personal attention. Keep at it if you must. Be scrupulously professional and not in any way histrionic.

That is what I would do in your shoes, anyway. Good luck.
Thank you. I’m prepared for a fight as I did nothing wrong and my track record with Apple should prove me as a valuable customer. I may start a complaint on BBB although it seems that those are handled by executive relations as well.

If that fails, I’m prepared to message Eric Friedman (Apple’s head of fraud team) directly. I haven’t thought about writing snail mails but if that can get the attention of the right people, I will try that.

I have too many digital purchases tied to this account for it to be taken away unjustly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.