Apple ACD, buzzing? Very disappointed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitefang, Mar 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitefang macrumors 6502

I just got the Apple LED display and I noticed that when I put my UBMP to sleep or shut it down, the Apple LED monitor has a high pitched buzzing on the lower left corner. My dell also has a high pitched whining noise when it went into standby BUT at least I could shut it off. There's no button to shut off the Apple display.

Is this normal? Can anyone confirm there's a buzz on theirs? (remember, the UBMP has to be either in sleep or shutdown mode). This is very very disappointing.

Also, when I type, the monitor shakes. I have a very good sturdy business desk. My previous Dell 2707WFP monitor NEVER shook, the apple monitor is shaking horribly.

If this is the quality of Apple, I'm definitely going back to PC.

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i dont have any problem with buzzing. it may be the speakers.

3. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

It's not the speakers. It's a buzz caused by electrical fluctuations. My guess is that when the UBMP goes to sleep, the Apple LED display also goes to sleep. However, the LED display must have VERY bad circuit design that the capacitors go into a "reduced" power state which causes electrical fluctuations and in return high pitch buzz. Have you tried putting your macbook to sleep and then listening to the lower left corner of the LED display?? You must have some ambient noises that prevent you from hearing it.

There is no quality control anymore.

4. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I had my 24" LED ACD for the past 5 months and so far no buzzing, whirrling, purring noise whatsoever. It works perfect. I had a 15" unibody mbp connected to it for the past 4 months with it in dual screen mode or closed shell mode and slept it every night and no problems whatsoever.

Right now its connected to my mac mini via mini displayport and the mini dvi connected to my 40" sony bravia xbr6 with no issues either.

And I sleep my mac mini when I go to bed at night and no buzzing noises or any noises whatsoever either.

I would think that you got a faulty 24" LED ACD and advise you to get it replaced. Dont take repair as an option get it fully replaced.

5. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I think you either have ambient noise or are not listening properly. It's on the lower left corner and you have to listen carefully.

So, 2 people say they don't notice it. Anyone else? I think it's a design problem, so even if I exchange it....the problem will still occur.

Also, what is your brightness levels? I noticed that when my brightness was maximum (default), the monitor was very hot and the noise was louder. When I reduce the brightness (60%), it's less loud.

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Well my Toshiba laptop does the same thing. When I put it to sleep the power supply emits an annoying high pitched sound. I've seen numerous laptops do this. If I put the Toshiba to sleep and the battery is charging, it won't emit any annoying sounds. Actually, even if I shut the computer down and leave it connected to the power supply, I will get an annoying high pitched sound.

I've heard this noise from numerous laptops before. I'm disappointed to hear this is something I'll have to live with if I get the ACD.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My room is DEAD silent. I can hear a mosquito buzzing at the other side of my room at night time. Anyway I'm very VERY sensitive to noise when it comes to machines.

I replaced a 17" hi resolution mbp in the past for a slight buzzing noise from the inverter and from the fan and exchanged it 5 times before returning it.

Same with a 2.8GHz 8 core mac pro with a buzzing psu that I've exchanged once and a 15" first gen mbp fixed 3 times due to an inverter making a high pitch noise and cpu as well.

Right now its dead silent in my room and I have my 24" LED ACD at 100% brightness (I always use it and leave it on 100%, I love the vividness it gives you) and put my ear to the left bottom (where the fan is located) and I dont hear anything. I put my ears next to the right bottom and I dont hear anything either. It doesnt exhibit any noise at all (well except the gentle woosh sound from the fan on the lower left of the display but I can only hear it if I press my ear up underneath it where the air is pushing out which is normal).

I remember though my previous 23" ACD did make a verrry slight buzzing noise at the top of the display.

Like I said before get it exchanged!!

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

I've had mine almost since it came out. I can ALWAYS hear the high pitched noises that others cannot. My 24" is dead silent.

9. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

So, my monitor is defective right? At the moment, everything is okay with it except as soon as the UBMP goes to sleep, the display gives that annoying pitch.

Can I exchange it tomorrow? Will they try to repair it instead?

10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Dont take any BS from them. Ask for an exchange. As long as your within the 14 days get it exchanged.

Take it from me, the exchange master! Everytime I walk into the apple store I'm pretty sure those employees that have seen me bring back many of the macs probably think or talk amongst themselves and say, damn its THAT guy who exchanges everything again! LOL. I dont care as long as I get what I want.

Past 2 years I think I've exchanged literally about 30-35 times within 2 different apple stores near me. And I've only paid restocking fee just probably twice due to upgrading actually from a lower end model to a higher end when the mbp actually didnt have anything wrong with it.

11. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

So, my monitor is defective right? At the moment, everything is okay with it except as soon as the UBMP goes to sleep, the display gives that annoying pitch.

Can I exchange it tomorrow? Will they try to repair it instead?

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.