Apple ACD - Ridiculous

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whitefang, Mar 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitefang macrumors 6502

If I unplug the charger cable, the display stops working and uses the UBMP display. If I plug it back in, it starts using dual displays.

So I restart again and it uses the ACD. When the ACD charger is plugged into the UBMP, it emits a annoying high-pitched noise. When I remove it, the UBMP goes to SLEEP!!!!!! What the hell!

And, when the UBMP goes to sleep/shutdown, the ACD emits ANOTHER high-pitched frequency AND a "frequency ticking".

This is ridiculous. This has to be the worst quality control there is. I'm never recommending Apple again and I'm regretting my purchase of a UBMP because of this.

What I can't stand is the damn frequency noise, it's so annoying. It's funny how review sites RARELY mention these problems and how recommendations given here doesn't mention them either.

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Not on my MacBook Pro.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can't use the external display with your MacBook closed unless you are on AC power.

It's really pathetic how you've changed so much, you know. You were psyched to get your notebook, happy to get your Cinema Display, and now you're refusing to purchase anything from Apple ever again because you can't do something that is impossible to do.

Also, OF COURSE it makes a high-pitched noise. That's the power supply providing power. If it bothers you, take it in, have the Genius Bar look at it, and if they deem it to be inordinate, they'll swap it for you. Every power supply makes noise.

4. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

I've heard of this noise before but in the cases I read about, it was barley audible in an area of low or no ambient noise. Like Tallest Skil said, you can't use the display unless you have the power cord plugged in with the screen in sleep mode or shut down.

David

5. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

I think he said that it goes to dual-display mode, so that must mean that his Macbook is not closed.

He shouldn't have to have the charger in to do dual-display. I can do that fine for my engineering presentations without power and dual-display with projectors.

However, you are correct in saying that the charger must be in to do external display if the Macbook is closed.

6. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

I don't know, you can, hurrr, let it plugged?

Or, have you asked yourself if the display itself is alright?

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I think he has it closed, removes it, the screen turns on while closed, he plugs it back in, and it goes to dual like that.

8. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't even care about the dual screen issue.

All I care about is this god damn high pitched frequency noise. I paid for a high quality monitor, there shouldn't be any f***&( noise. My dell 2407WFP never had that noise. My dell 2707WFP did have stand-by noise but at least you could shut it off. My Samsung 251T never had that noise.

It's ANNOYING. I'm going to exchange it today but I definitely know it will be the same issue with the new one. I'm just going to return it and get hit with a stupid restocking fee.

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because they don't have power supplies in them! :eek::confused:

They can't charge laptops.

10. mayanka89 macrumors regular

mayanka89

Wow that noise must be really annoying you. I would just exchange and see if it happens again. If it does, then maybe you have an excuse to get all upset like this, but at least give it another shot. Every company makes duds, it can't be avoided.

11. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Since when have accepted that power supplies should emit electronic noise? They do emit electronic noise (like all electronics) but it's inaudible. You can't tell me my top grade Corsair HX520 emits noise.

The frequency noise has nothing to do with the PSU. It's bad circuit design. The damn capacitors they use are low-grade crap that go into "energy-saving" state and resonate at that state causing high-pitched frequencies. I seen this happen in the cheaper versions of HP laptops. So much for "high quality apple" components. Bull****. If they did any real quality-control, we wouldn't have to deal with this ****. We're pretty much beta testing for Apple.

12. eron macrumors 6502

Do yourself a favour and check if a replacement does the same.

13. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Hey man,

Don't direct your hostilities to people that are simply commenting on the matter. We didn't make it. Everyone gets the short end of the stick sometimes. Go take it out on an Apple Customer Service Representative if you're angry.

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

But... all the problems that you mentioned doesn't on any of my Apple devices :confused:

You are on your own troubled bubble dude.

15. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

The bad circuit design indicates THAT ALL THE ACD monitors are affected. NO EXCEPTIONS. Some people can't hear them because of ambient noise or their deaf. My friend is an electrical engineer, he said the same thing.

The fact is, when I asked which monitor to buy, everyone instantly recommended the ACD and praised it. Nobody mentioned the high-pitched frequency issue. Not even the review sites. At least you don't get that **** with PCs.

16. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Sure you do. I've had plenty of experiences with certain PC components that are just simply poorly made, with crappy components. Apple isn't immune to lazy hardware design.

The point I'm making is that you have to do your own personal research on everything nowadays. That way, you can't blame anyone else for your problems. No one put a gun to your head and made you buy the damn thing.

17. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I own the LED one and i can prove it with a youtube video that my display doesn't have the problems that you have.

18. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

I seen this happen before, as I stated, it's a logic board design error (it's not exactly an error but they used cheap components). High-pitched noise are resonance by low-grade components, you will see this a lot in "energy saving" designs. The new ACD will do the same thing.

19. eron macrumors 6502

Firstly, people are trying to help you here. We appreciate you sharing your problems with Apple products.

So the problem you encountered is solely with pairing the faulty ACD with your mbp. A new ACD unit may solve your problem. If it doesn't, then you are right, Apple needs to fix this ASAP.

Next, the problem is with the ACD. What problems do you have with the umbp to have you being so negative towards ALL Apple products?

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.