Apple ackowledges battery issues on 4S for first time

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mattpol, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattpol macrumors regular

Breaking: Apple Confirms iOS 5 Bugs Causing Battery Issues for Some iPhones
    http://allthingsd.com/20111102/apple-some-ios5-bugs-prompting-iphone-battery-issues/

Apple on Wednesday said it has found a few problems that are leading some iPhone customers to experience less-than-expected battery life with iPhones running its latest software.

“A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices,” Apple said in a statement to AllThingsD. “We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks.”

Apple declined to comment beyond the statement or offer any recommendations for what steps customers should take for now.

Complaints about battery life issues have been growing on the Web in recent days, but began shortly after both iOS 5 and the iPhone 4S were made publicly available last month. The problems appear to vary based on what network a user is on, usage patterns and other factors.

Some customers have found some success by limiting notifications and by turning off a feature that automatically adjusts to new time zones.

Despite the battery issues, the iPhone 4S has been a huge seller, with Sprint and AT&T setting records for initial sales.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

3. cfairbank macrumors 6502

According to 9to5 Mac apple just released the 5.0.1 seed to developers. Number 1 on the list is fixing battery drain. Guess we will soon find out if it helps!

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Why would they issue an update merely to address the problems of a "small number" of users? I just hope they don't try the old "misreported battery levels" trick, whereby they just tweak the battery level indicator instead of fixing the actual battery problem.

5. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

It's about time. Let's hope this update fixes the problems those one or two (million) of us are having.

6. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

It is a SMALL number.

Think about it, 4+ million phones sold... how many people outside of a few major forums do you hear complaining? Of that group, we're talking, what, 1 thousand users? Maybe at most?

Thats within statistical indifference.

I've had two brand new iPhone 4s devices, straight from Apple since launch date, both of them have demonstrated terrible battery life as well as great battery life.

What I mean by that is, as little as 4 hours usage, all the way up to 8.5 hours.

How? By learning how to use the device best.

Most of those people complaining simply don't understand that if you have a dozen twitter feeds, facebook updates, siri reminders, hundreds of texts constantly flowing through your network, you're going to get sucky battery life.

WELCOME TO MODERN SMART PHONES.

Try using an Android device for a few days, then see how you feel. :D

7. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

so which is it; there IS a problem, for a small number of people, or the problem is the user, expecting too much from a modern phone? Pretty sure Apple would not release an update if our expectations were simply too high.

8. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

The problem is the user, outside of some rather obvious defective units, hardware issues that only make sense when you produce 5 million of anything.

Apple is just keeping the media happy by "addressing" the "issue".

You'll see, the patch won't make any difference at all.

9. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I commend Tim Cook for avoiding Apple's past practice of going silent for a long time before (if they even did) acknowledge the issue.

Apple is already getting fresher and more relavent.

10. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

My SGSII out lasts my 4s easily. My 4s is dead and I have 30% left on my android.

11. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That will go over well, lie to the public. lol

12. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

The few thousand people complaining on some forums is not the "public".

The public is all the people who pick up an iPhone because it's cool to have, charge it whenever they have to and think nothing of it regardless to it giving 4 hours or 10 hours of use.

----------

My 4s lasts me 8.5 hours of usage time, days on standby.

Yours should be able to provide the same given proper configuration. I doubt the SII can match that with stock battery.

13. film major macrumors member

I agree with you to a certain extent that if you are doing all those things your not going to get 8+hrs of battery life. And the addition of the A5 processor which will use more battery life as well.

But, I think people are not getting close to the numbers Apple said the phone should be getting. If there wasn't an actual problem Apple wouldn't even be addressing it.

14. JMC08 macrumors regular

I've maxed out at 6.5. What happens when you constantly stream?

15. docprego macrumors 65816

My 4S does too, no complaints here. If the update makes it even better then great. I am amazed at this phone's standby capability. I can take it off the charger and hours later it is still at 100%. With my previous phone, an EVO it would drain on standby at a rapid rate.

16. isoft7 macrumors 6502a

Seems most people are getting around 6 hours of 3G time, even in the batterygate thread. Thats within what Apple suggests.

I've not seen anyone complain of talk time, probably because so few of us use our phone as an actual phone and more a computer.

You're right though, the A5 processor does play a part, a big part.

Apple isn't addressing the problem, they're just appeasing the angry, you'll see when the patch is released. All they'll do is change polling time or location services defaults. Same stuff all of us forum members have already modified.

----------

My best times are when streaming... for instance, I streamed slacker radio over 3G all yesterday, and with browsing, game playing, texting, app downloads, I still got 8.5 hours before it died. From full charge.

I have notifications turned off, location settings modified and my screen brightness set at about 40%.

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

And a very small percent of the "public" posts on internet forums, so clearly you don't have a clue what's going on with those who don't post. Obviously there are enough for them to roll out an update. Apple knows and the carriers know.

Your 4s life doesn't translate for everyone. Since you have no problems the rest of us can't? lol

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Let's consolidate all comments in the news thread here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.