Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has purchased payments startup Mobeewave, which created a system that lets shoppers tap a credit card or smartphone on another phone to process a payment. The functionality could allow iPhones to be used as payment terminals with no additional hardware required.

mobeewave.jpg

According to Bloomberg, Apple purchased the startup for approximately $100 million. Mobeewave's technology works with NFC, which is built into all modern iPhones. Mobeewave's website says sending payments with the Mobeewave app is as simple as inputting a transaction amount and tapping an NFC-enabled card on the back of a smartphone.

Apple hired the whole Mobeewave team, which includes dozens of employees, and the company is continuing to work from Montreal where it is based. Apple confirmed the acquisition with its typical statement: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

As Bloomberg points out, the acquisition has the potential to allow Apple to compete with companies like Square, which makes hardware that allows iPhone users to accept credit and debit card payments.

Article Link: Apple Acquired Mobeewave, a Startup That Lets Smartphones Accept Payments Using NFC

Reactions: Odysee

raywkh14

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2019
Wow this is huge! If this works out, then payment platform such as Chase and Moneris will be in a lot of trouble. This will enable more locations to allow Tap to Pay without these middle man payment solutions.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Wow this is huge! If this works out, then payment platform such as Chase and Moneris will be in a lot of trouble. This will enable more locations to allow Tap to Pay without these middle man payment solutions.
I don’t think it changes anything. The credit provider is still in the middle.

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Anyone else think this is more going to be for countries that don't have high card use as it is? Given how inexpensive stuff like Square is (at least in the US), I don't see Apple competing where other options already exist.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
If you had to ask me I think a technology/app like this would’ve been far more beneficial for small businesses rather than adding yet another way to use Apple Cash

Reactions: Skika

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Sounds good for criminals.

Not to mention more inevitable antitrust investigations if they do this themselves but competitors have to use dongles.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

I was thinking this could be trouble for Square and PayPal. This would kill the need for their card readers and payment terminals.

If Apple wanted to expand their services business, offering small business solutions like Square and PayPal would bring in the $$$

Reactions: amartinez1660

TrulsZK

macrumors regular
May 1, 2018
Norway
Yse, today I am using iZettle https://www.izettle.com to accept payments with a card reader connected via bluetooth. Nice to hopefully get the ability to just use my iPhone, assume the PIN code is entered on the screen so less secure and user friendly than a dedicated card reader.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
I was thinking this could be trouble for Square and PayPal. This would kill the need for their card readers and payment terminals.

If Apple wanted to expand their services business, offering small business solutions like Square and PayPal would bring in the $$$
I wonder if they’d allow access via APIs or not. If they did it might conversely be a boom for those companies. I can’t imagine the very base model readers carry large margins, so this could expand the market for them. Customers buying the larger readers with numpads likely would stick to those.

Thats a big “if” though as to whether Apple would open such functionality up.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How much percentage of each transaction would apple take do you think for such a feature.

Reactions: muzzy996
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.