Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has acquired podcast search startup Pop Up Archive, according to Harvard University's Nieman Lab via AppleInsider.

podcasts-pop-up-archive.jpg

Apple more or less confirmed the report by issuing its standard statement about acquisitions: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Pop Up Archive was an Oakland-based online platform focused on building tools to transcribe, organize, and search audio files, including a podcast search engine Audiosear.ch, according to the report.
Pop Up Archive was founded in 2012, and has since grown off an extended series of seed investments and grants from sources like Bloomberg Beta, 500 Startups, and the Knight Foundation, among others. The company also has a close relationship with PRX; in 2012, the two organizations partnered up to build PRX's original web-based archive system.
Both the Pop Up Archive and Audiosear.ch websites state that operations shut down on November 28, 2017, presumably around the time Apple acquired the startup. Financial terms of the deal have not been disclosed.

While no other details about the acquisition were shared, it can be assumed that Pop Up Archive's search tools could be used to improve podcast search and discovery in Apple's official Podcasts app for iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Apple Acquires Podcast Search Startup 'Pop Up Archive'

Avieshek

Suspended
Dec 7, 2013
India
Apple should also acquire Microsoft Office, Gmail, Dropbox, Opera browser.. `\("/ )/'

Last edited:

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
I don’t think so? Certainly not between Mac and iOS.

Same here.

If listening to a podcast when walking or in the car, I'd love to be able to get home and ask Siri to continue playing my podcast through my Apple TV or HomePod.

The sync is not instantaneous, but my iTunes eventually gets updated with where I let off on my iPhone after a few minutes. You can turn the function on here in iTunes's preferences
Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 11.57.56 PM.png
:

nick42983

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2009
Warsaw, Poland
May be the team at Pop Up Archive can convince Apple to return the basic automatic play next functionality that they REMOVED from the "improved" iOS11 Podcast App! Users have to manually click on every new episode (twice, as if once wasn't enough intention) instead of just listening to the dozen podcasts you have lined up.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Same here.

If listening to a podcast when walking or in the car, I'd love to be able to get home and ask Siri to continue playing my podcast through my Apple TV or HomePod.

Well, you've been missing out as I have been using feature for long time. Check your settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.