Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has acquired well-known and popular automation app Workflow, reports TechCrunch. The deal was reportedly finalized today for an unspecified sum.

Workflow, first released in 2014, is an automation tool that can essentially do anything. It allows users to create a variety of workflows to accomplish tasks like creating GIFs from a series of photos, pulling images from a web page, translating an article, posting photos to multiple social networks at once, calculating a tip, and tons more.

workflowforios-800x707.jpg

It is equipped with a built-in Gallery, which allows people to quickly find and use a wide range of automation tasks, and it can be used to create custom automations.

Apple is purchasing the Workflow app and the Workflow team, including Ari Weinstein, Conrad Kramer, and Nick Frey, will be joining the company.
"We are thrilled to be joining Apple," said Weinstein in a statement. "We've worked closely with Apple from the very beginning, from kickstarting our company as students attending WWDC to developing and launching Workflow and seeing its amazing success on the App Store. We can't wait to take our work to the next level at Apple and contribute to products that touch people across the world.
Apple confirmed the acquisition of Workflow, which notably received an Apple Design Award in 2015 for its excellent accessibility features, likely one of the reasons behind the purchase.

Typically apps acquired from Apple disappear from the App Store, but Workflow will remain available and will be made free starting later today. The Gallery will continue to be updated on a regular basis, as will app integrations.

Beyond the app, it is not clear what Apple will do with Workflow in the future, and whether it will be built into future versions of iOS and macOS, but it is definitely a possibility. TechCrunch speculates that it could be used alongside Siri in the future, or perhaps be the backbone of powerful automation tools for the iPad.

Update: Workflow can now be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Acquires Popular Automation App Workflow

OmarKhafagy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Two ways this could go:

1. Workflow is left to die a slow and agonizing death while the team is reassigned to (probably AI-related) projects.
2. Workflow gets superpowered with deeper access to the OS.

Here's hoping it's number 2.

EDIT:
I'd be curious to see if they'd be willing to acquire Launch Centre Pro or perhaps build something similar to it right into the OS. To me, the combo of LCP & Workflow is a fantastic 1-2 punch.

Last edited:

OmarKhafagy

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
Hey Siri run my workflow. Can't wait :(

Actually, I think it'd be even cooler than that.

Imagine for a sec that there's something you do over and over again on your phone. The process is the same each time.

Workflow recognizes the repetition and can suggest possible workflows.

You can then customize those workflows and assign it to a particular command. So instead of saying "Hey Siri, run workflow log my caffeine" you could just say "Hey Siri, log my caffeine.

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Has the idea crossed anyone's mind that Workflow will just get the same treatment as FileMaker (where, while they are Apple employees, they do their own thing and are treated as a separate company)?

Because this announcement is giving me some of those vibes.

(Unless I've been fooled all these years and FileMaker is actually not an Apple product...)

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Why would they buy it just to kill it? They could just block it from the app store if they wanted it dead. They'll probably make it an integral part of the OS.
ask Yahoo, they specialized in that.

Sometimes the decisions of corporate execs, make no sense - see Mac rumors buyers guide.

Reactions: biziclop

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Why would they buy it just to kill it?

They would buy it just to kill it if they were only truly interested in acquiring the talent behind the app. They'd put those people to work on something at Apple that may or may not have anything to do with what they were doing prior to joining Apple.

Reactions: jagooch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.